The Student Room Group

Proving residency

Hello,

I am beginning a PGCE course in September, and am planning finances. Currently I need clarification on how the three-year-residency-prior-to-start-of-course is judged, to see if I'm eligible to apply for a maintenance loan.

I (UK citizen) had been out of the country for a substantial period prior to 2017, but maintained an address in the UK where bank accounts etc were registered. During this time I was not working in the UK, therefore not paying national insurance contributions.

This being the case, I need to know if three years 'resident' refers to living, working, physically in the UK, or nominally in the UK, as described above.

Many thanks
Were you outside the UK on a time limited visa or work contract? You need to show that your stay abroad was temporary and not intended to be permanent - usually people prove that with their visa/work contract (or even flight bookings showing you booked return travel). Maintaining uk bank accounts is helpful too.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Were you outside the UK on a time limited visa or work contract? You need to show that your stay abroad was temporary and not intended to be permanent - usually people prove that with their visa/work contract (or even flight bookings showing you booked return travel). Maintaining uk bank accounts is helpful too.

Thanks for your reply. I found quite a detailed answer last thing before bed yesterday:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76188268&highlight=ordinarily%20resident%20asia%202.5%20years

Work contracts and visa are available if needed, but hopefully I can avoid using the maintenance loan completely. Fingers crossed.
Original post by Sfaabofc
Thanks for your reply. I found quite a detailed answer last thing before bed yesterday:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76188268&highlight=ordinarily%20resident%20asia%202.5%20years

Work contracts and visa are available if needed, but hopefully I can avoid using the maintenance loan completely. Fingers crossed.

Hi,

I'd like to confirm 2019/20 applications for student finance are expected to launch in March, please keep an eye on our Facebook or Twitter pages for updates. You can find 2019/20 academic year guidance videos here and a quick guide is available here.

I would recommend sending a copy of your supporting documents and a cover letter (after submitting your application online) to

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Kind regards,
Shahrzad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending