The Student Room Group

Problems sitting through lectures

Idk if this is normal but I've always had problems sitting through lectures/lessons back in school and even at work all I can think about is how long til it's over. Before I switched my course I did Film where we had 3h long lectures which was a real issue for me. I guess what made it worse was that I wasn't interested in the content as I had expected something very different. Now I switched my course to something I'm genuinely interested in but I won't start until September but I am a bit worried that even then I'll just stare at the clock.
Does anyone have tips other than not staring at the clock?
I feel like maybe I have a problem with my concentration cause I used to always get lost watching tv shows and time would just fly by but now I can't even watch a 20 minute youtube video without doing something else while watching or talking about it. That's kinda how I feel now. It's like I'm not able to engage with the content or with work because I just really wanna leave all the time which is bad because I really want to go to uni and work and not just sit through it but actually enjoy it but it's just like I can't concentrate on anything anymore I'm just nervous all the time waiting to go home. Like an inner restlessness.
I'm sure you'll be fine when it comes to lectures this time round because as you said you're genuinely interested in the course content.

However if you think there may be an underlying issue then definitely go to your gp as they might be able to prescribe you medication that could help you relax so you can concentrate.

No one can totally concentrate for 3hours straight and most people would struggle to properly concentrate for half an hour. I definitely find myself zoning out every now and then during lectures and seminars and that's completely normal! Some general tips for concentration is to make sure you have a consistent sleep schedule (and that you get enough of it), make sure you eat healthily- vit C is great for concentration and being sharp, and to take time to breathe. I know this is relatively vague and generic but hopefully it might help a little!

Lucy

Quick Reply

Latest