Report 1 week ago
It's a compelling argumet.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Unwavering)
I mean....he was born in India, so I guess he has a point?
Why?

India is a fascinating, very diverse country with amazing cultural heritage and cuisine.
I was born in London and am hoping to visit India one day.
Raphael Samuel is a businessman who chooses to live in Mumbai, he has a good relationship with his parents and he says his life is good.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Interesting
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It would be wrong to corrupt them with societies monetary tokens, admit wrongdoing with Thoughts & Prayers™
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Pretty sure I've said this in another thread, but I'm permanently confused as to how anti-natalists manage to talk themselves out of committing suicide when their philosophy assumes that life is absolutely terrible to the point of not being worth living.

His lawyer must be having a ball rn tho, what a case.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mumbai businessman Raphael Samuel told the BBC that it's wrong to bring children into the world because they then have to put up with lifelong suffering.
Right up the BBC's street, innit?
Unwavering
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Why?

India is a fascinating, very diverse country with amazing cultural heritage and cuisine.
I was born in London and am hoping to visit India one day.
Raphael Samuel is a businessman who chooses to live in Mumbai, he has a good relationship with his parents and he says his life is good.
If you were born into a good, wealthy family like him then true, life wouldn't be bad in India. However, assuming that wasn't the case, don't you think it would be really selfish as a parent to bring a child into the world if you were surrounded by poverty in a third-world environment? I can see where he's coming from is what I'm saying.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Unwavering)
If you were born into a good, wealthy family like him then true, life wouldn't be bad in India. However, assuming that wasn't the case, don't you think it would be really selfish as a parent to bring a child into the world if you were surrounded by poverty in a third-world environment? I can see where he's coming from is what I'm saying.
Except that life isn't as simple as you think it is. At the end of the say, you will need to have kids to take care of you/take over family business when you are too old to work.

I wouldn't say it is selfish since most people would be quite grateful that they merely exist. Of course this guy doesn't think that way.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Pretty sure I've said this in another thread, but I'm permanently confused as to how anti-natalists manage to talk themselves out of committing suicide when their philosophy assumes that life is absolutely terrible to the point of not being worth living.

His lawyer must be having a ball rn tho, what a case.
He can't find a lawyer willing to take the case on.
The anti-natalists I know are mainly attention seeking whiners.
A handful of brooding intellectuals with a wannabe philosopher mindset, they apparently live to make a constant nuisance of themselves to any possible audience.
Too self centered and vocally exhibitionist to genuinely consider suicide.
They literally live to complain or wax lyrical with their elegant, sophisticated diatribes against all hope for the future of humanity.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Never met a serious anti-natalist. Apparently they do exist, but I've been floating around phil depts for the better part of a decade and I'm yet to meet one.
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
sherlockfan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by stoyfan)
Except that life isn't as simple as you think it is. At the end of the say, you will need to have kids to take care of you/take over family business when you are too old to work.

I wouldn't say it is selfish since most people would be quite grateful that they merely exist. Of course this guy doesn't think that way.
Nobody 'needs' kids. This isnt the dark ages. Plenty of people don't have them.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Never met a serious anti-natalist. Apparently they do exist, but I've been floating around phil depts for the better part of a decade and I'm yet to meet one.
Any serious philosopher who accepts anti-natalism would've seen the logic through n shot themselves, surely?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Any serious philosopher who accepts anti-natalism would've seen the logic through n shot themselves, surely?
Haha, I in practicality think that overstates the committment that philosophers have to their positions, but in theory, maybe :laugh:
sherlockfan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Human_bean)
Me too. Class action case?
Yeah why not lol
Sisyphus222
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47154287

An Indian man is suing is parents for giving birth to him without his consent. He says that its wrong for parents to bring children into a world with suffering and pain - and as he didn't ask to be born, he should be paid for the rest of his life to live by his parents.

He believes in anti-natalism, a philosophy that says that life is so full of suffering we should stop procreating as to not inflict this life on the unborn.

What do you think? Do you think his case will stand up in a court of law or be laughed out? Let us know!
Oh please! You know the answer. He invalidated his claim when he cited the notion of consent! 😡😡😡
BeeTree
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aw, he just needs a partner, then he'd realize life is wonderful and he owes his parents support all their lives.
sherlockfan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BeeTree)
Aw, he just needs a partner, then he'd realize life is wonderful and he owes his parents support all their lives.
I hope you're being sarcastic.
Human_bean
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
how did he find a lawyer so stupid?
He didn’t. Article states he is actively seeking one
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Human_bean)
He didn’t. Article states he is actively seeking one
didnt read the article
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (35)
12.54%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.47%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.23%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.23%
No (194)
69.53%

Watched Threads