The Student Room Group

UKMT IMC 2019 chat

How did everyone's IMC's go?
I feel like I absolutely f*cked it up. I was hoping to get into the Hamilton Olympiad this year as i've been practising all the previous IMC's (from 2009-2018) but i only managed to complete questions 1-18 today and didn't even manage to check over again. Oh and question 19 was so laborious and i wasted like my last 10 minutes on that, i attempted it really stupidly-failed, then tried again-sort of got the answer in the end(E wasn't it?) but then i didn't write down the answer in the end for some reason. Feel like that could have made all the difference. All tied up about that now- god i just wish i skipped question 19! Now i'm just really hoping to get all the ones i did correct. Not sure if we can share answers yet but how did everyone else's go?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did almost EXACTLY the same as you, but in last year's paper. This year I was hoping to go for maclaurin olympiad but I think I mucked up a few of the 1-15 questions 😫
Original post by 14halls
I did almost EXACTLY the same as you, but in last year's paper. This year I wassam hoping to go for maclaurin olympiad but I think I mucked up a few of the 1-15 questions 😫

same i literally can't stop thinking about it now. i know there is just no way i can get in a\now nyway cause i only did 18 questions. How about you, what questions did u do?
Reply 3
Original post by Yt.shusshhhh
same i literally can't stop thinking about it now. i know there is just no way i can get in a\now nyway cause i only did 18 questions. How about you, what questions did u do?

All but the last 2. If I have any chance of getting olympiad, I probably have to get 8 questions from 15-25 all right😂😂
Original post by 14halls
All but the last 2. If I have any chance of getting olympiad, I probably have to get 8 questions from 15-25 all right😂😂

woah but that's so good though, at least you have a shot. Which questions do you think u messed up?
How did everyone's IMC's go?
I feel like I absolutely f*cked it up. I was hoping to get into the Hamilton Olympiad this year as i've been practising all the previous IMC's (from 2009-2018) but i only managed to complete questions 1-18 today and didn't even manage to check over again. Oh and question 19 was so laborious and i wasted like my last 10 minutes on that, i attempted it really stupidly-failed, then tried again-sort of got the answer in the end(E wasn't it?) but then i didn't write down the answer in the end for some reason. Feel like that could have made all the difference. All tied up about that now- god i just wish i skipped question 19! Now i'm just really hoping to get all the ones i did correct. Not sure if we can share answers yet but how did everyone else's go?

I think i got C for q19 but it's hard to remember. I got up to q23 without guessing but I knew I was risky on the BIDMAS question in 1-15 somewhere, but I left q 24+25 bc i didnt want to risk it. I know I got a few wrong but hopefully the qs from 1-15 made up for it. The question with six equilateral triangles with side length 2 was quite satisfying though.I'm really hoping to get into Hamilton because it's the last IMC, but i'm so unsure.
Was it just me or were the qs from 15-25 easier than past papers? Either this is true or I went horribly wrong...
Original post by iibantaclausii
Was it just me or were the qs from 15-25 easier than past papers? Either this is true or I went horribly wrong...

I think I got a couple of the 20-25 ones (well I answered without guessing lol) but there were two 1-15 that I couldn’t do (or at least not in the time) :lol:
(edited 5 years ago)
What did you guys get for the x,y question? Coz I think I messe dip on that one
Expecting 85. Don't think I can make hamilton tho :frown:.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm expecting a score of 85.
Yikes
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by howdyyallgooday
What did you guys get for the x,y question? Coz I think I messe dip on that one

If I remember correctly it was -2/15? or maybe 2/15 can't really remember
mine went absolute doo doo
urgghh the answers have come out today on:
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/intermediate-challenge/archive/
i am sooooo annoyed i got question 3 wrong! red squirrel question. i put 40000 but answer was 80000- anyone else made the same mistake?
The other answers were correct though i think- hopefully i marked the correct answer on the answer paper cause i didn't have time to check. So sad i can only get 88 marks max now - that's lower than last year!!!
I probably did okay in the questions I did, but I didn’t answer many so doing amazingly is just out of the question.
urgghh the answers have come out today on:
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/intermediate-challenge/archive/
i am sooooo annoyed i got question 3 wrong! red squirrel question. i put 40000 but answer was 80000- anyone else made the same mistake?
The other answers were correct though i think- hopefully i marked the correct answer on the answer paper cause i didn't have time to check. So sad i can only get 88 marks max now - that's lower than last year!!!

Omg I made the same mistake. That question was worded terrible and absolute bull imo.
I think i got either 85 or 90.
Original post by TryAgain-_-
Omg I made the same mistake. That question was worded terrible and absolute bull imo.
I think i got either 85 or 90.

omg i completely misunderstood it too!
omg i completely misunderstood it too!

I knew I was going to get it wrong. Too wordy and I was too sleepy to read well lol.
How much do you think the thresholds would be this year?
I mean questions 1 - 15 where harder than last years, but i feel 16 - 25 where somewhat easier
Original post by TryAgain-_-
I knew I was going to get it wrong. Too wordy and I was too sleepy to read well lol.
How much do you think the thresholds would be this year?
I mean questions 1 - 15 where harder than last years, but i feel 16 - 25 where somewhat easier

From what most people are saying and how everyone found it I think it will be very similar. I personally found it easier but i know others struggled so it may have been my one year's extra experience instead. Should look similar tho - check the ukmt website. Thresholds are out soon on the 18th anyway :smile:
Original post by Watermelona
From what most people are saying and how everyone found it I think it will be very similar. I personally found it easier but i know others struggled so it may have been my one year's extra experience instead. Should look similar tho - check the ukmt website. Thresholds are out soon on the 18th anyway :smile:

You have a point. In my opinion the whole paper was easy in general (I found ways to solve all but question 22 and 24) but there was a lot of room for silly errors and question 3 (The squirrels one) was the only question to have been gotten wrong by everyone in my school!
Got best in school, beating a few older students tho, so that was nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending