The Student Room Group

Anyone got HISTORY TAKING notes for each system?

How do they expect us to take a history or clerk patients when we haven't BEEN TAUGHT HOW TO DO IT?
Original post by Anonymous
How do they expect us to take a history or clerk patients when we haven't BEEN TAUGHT HOW TO DO IT?

What do you mean? Haven't you had any lectures or practical sessions on history taking or examination?
Perhaps by taking histories and clerking patients you are being taught how to do it?!
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
Perhaps by taking histories and clerking patients you are being taught how to do it?!

But how am I meant to ask qs if i haven't been taught how to do it?

Original post by Democracy
What do you mean? Haven't you had any lectures or practical sessions on history taking or examination?

not really - no.

not really - no.

Are you expected to be taking histories and performing examinations at your current stage? Is there some sort of outcome which your medical school requires you to meet? If so, what is it?

There is a lot of variability between courses, but I think most medical schools provide lectures or tutorials on history and examination in first or second year, with perhaps some clinical exposure in the form of limited hospital or GP placements, which is then followed by going on placement full time from third year. What stage are you currently at?

In general, history taking and examination are practical skills so the more you do it, the better you'll get. Particularly if you present your findings to someone more senior so they can give you guidance and feedback.

You're not really providing much in the way of information, so it's a bit difficult to give advice...

By changing the syntax of your words to form questions.

I assume you are the same person who has been posting this exact same thing for some time now. Look, they can't tell you exactly what to say word for word as its talking to a person - its conversational. They are not a robot - they are a human, and so (I think) are you - you need to react and improvise.

If you can't work out what you're meant to know, do it a few times and get some feedback. That is what medical school is for!

No offence, but you are being a little bit meladramatic here. Do you really need somebody to tell you to ask a ptient - "Have you had any chest pain?" - before you are able to do it yourself?!

Buy a book or search for some online resources on what symtpms to ask for each system, and go out and practice. If you are nervous about talking to patients, practice on you friends or family first.
Reply 8
There is a structure to history taking isn't there?
So do you guys not create templates for each system?
There is a structure to history taking isn't there?
So do you guys not create templates for each system?

Personally no. Perhaps in the run up to finals, but not initially.

I started taking histories in 3rd year and no doubt did a bad job. As I learned more about common pathologies it became natural to ask more intuitive questions, and my speed and confidence improved over time. As you do different specialities you might learn specific things in addition - how to take a pain history, how to take a blackout/collapse history, take a GUM history. But you also learn how to react if someone starts crying, what to do if someone is clearly hiding something.

Again, these are things you learn whilst on the wards at med school. You can create these templates if you want but you also need to get out there and practise.
At first your history taking skills will probably be rubbish, don't worry. I don't know if this is the same as what you're trying to express, but the one thing I found relatively mystifying when I first started the clinical years was exactly what questions I should be asking. Like it's all well and good to ask if somebody has chest pain, but how to clarify the nature of that chest pain (like what symptoms would point in one direction or another in terms of the aetiology) seemed like something I didn't feel I'd ever been taught either. Understanding the pathology and physiology of what is going on doesn't always equate to knowing what symptom to ask for or rule out.

You'll learn a lot of this stuff osmotically as you go through your clinical years and have to practice taking histories and getting feedback, and you'll also pick it up just by watching others on the wards or in clinics. Apart from that one other thing that can be helpful is to buy a book of OSCE scenarios with histories in, and if you practice them with friends you'll find you get better at asking specific questions, because the goal of those stations is that you should have extracted from the 'patient' everything in the history and used it to form an initial diagnosis. You should also get into your head the structure (ie PC, HPC, PMHx, PSHx, DHx, FHx, SHx, Examination) which it's useful to follow from the get go. It never lets you down!

The OHCM/S is actually a great resource when it comes to important questions to ask in histories because it specifically tells you things that would make you think of one diagnosis over another. It helps to start from that stand point and try to approach every history from the point of view of 'I am trying to find out what the diagnosis is and rule out other important alternative diagnoses' rather than the panic at the beginning of clinics which is just 'I am asking this person these questions because I must and I don't really know what I'm asking about'.
Original post by seaholme
At first your history taking skills will probably be rubbish, don't worry. I don't know if this is the same as what you're trying to express, but the one thing I found relatively mystifying when I first started the clinical years was exactly what questions I should be asking. Like it's all well and good to ask if somebody has chest pain, but how to clarify the nature of that chest pain (like what symptoms would point in one direction or another in terms of the aetiology) seemed like something I didn't feel I'd ever been taught either. Understanding the pathology and physiology of what is going on doesn't always equate to knowing what symptom to ask for or rule out.

You'll learn a lot of this stuff osmotically as you go through your clinical years and have to practice taking histories and getting feedback, and you'll also pick it up just by watching others on the wards or in clinics. Apart from that one other thing that can be helpful is to buy a book of OSCE scenarios with histories in, and if you practice them with friends you'll find you get better at asking specific questions, because the goal of those stations is that you should have extracted from the 'patient' everything in the history and used it to form an initial diagnosis. You should also get into your head the structure (ie PC, HPC, PMHx, PSHx, DHx, FHx, SHx, Examination) which it's useful to follow from the get go. It never lets you down!

The OHCM/S is actually a great resource when it comes to important questions to ask in histories because it specifically tells you things that would make you think of one diagnosis over another. It helps to start from that stand point and try to approach every history from the point of view of 'I am trying to find out what the diagnosis is and rule out other important alternative diagnoses' rather than the panic at the beginning of clinics which is just 'I am asking this person these questions because I must and I don't really know what I'm asking about'.

Thanks, I think I'm getting too fixated on answering the right questions when I should just try and practice as much as I can and appreciate that the structure will come with time. What book would you recommend?
Thanks, I think I'm getting too fixated on answering the right questions when I should just try and practice as much as I can and appreciate that the structure will come with time. What book would you recommend?

Posted a suggestion on a very similar post here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=81538886&highlight=
History taking is an exceptionally hard skill but probably the most important clinical skill to learn. You will be bad at it initially, don't worry about it.

If your school hasn't given you lectures or tutorials on it then get a book and start finding patients to talk to. Do it without looking at the patient notes. And then importantly try and find doctors to go through your findings with. Then spend a bit of time reading about the condition the pt has/considered to have but also spend time thinking about other differential diagnoses based on the presenting complaint. What else could the patient have? What negative and positive findings from the history allow you to come up with a differential? What are the common and rare causes of the primary complaint? E.g transverse myelitis presenting with chest pain

One important thing to remember is that history taking is the most important encounter with a patient. It gives you the most information and the major aim of it is to work out from the history what the problem is and how to investigate it plus other important things like how the condition affects the patient and what you as a doctor can do to make things better (learn the difference between "management", not "treatment")

Spend some time "following" patients. Learn about an mri scan by accompanying them to the scan. Understand physio roles by observing their sessions etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending