Parliamentary Sovereignty essay Watch

LawSolutions
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been given a quote that talks about how recent statutes have challenged the orthodox reading of Parliamentary sovereignty.
Our class has been told we can go back as far as the 60's.

I have included the European Communities Act 1972, Human Rights Act 1998, Devolution Acts, and the European Referendum Act 2015.

I'm just wondering what other acts anyone may suggest?
Also, would it be wise to include any case law in this essay or leave it all to statute?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you've been told to only look at statutes, then don't look at cases. Otherwise, if you're uni-level, it is quite obvious that the effects and meaning of statutes are found in cases -- along with some juicy dicta and quotes.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think another interesting take on this would be the constitutional reform act 2005; in the sense that it removed the law lords and created the separate Supreme Court, weakening fusion of powers; and because fusion of powers exists by design of parliamentary sovereignty I would argue that it also weakened parliamentary sovereignty.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I think another interesting take on this would be the constitutional reform act 2005; in the sense that it removed the law lords and created the separate Supreme Court, weakening fusion of powers; and because fusion of powers exists by design of parliamentary sovereignty I would argue that it also weakened parliamentary sovereignty.
Interesting, but I don't think it really works. Sovereignty doesn't simply mean power; a better term for it is "legislative supremacy". Even if it did mean just that, the House of Lords did not perform a legislative function and legislatures did not perform a judicial function (in practice). Granted law lords were lords, but they did not participate in that side of things until at least their retirement from judicial life. If at all. Lord Hope has been the most active in his retirement of any.

It is interesting, but it's probably gonna need more words than OP has to flesh it out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise