Student200112
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I was wondering which universities offer the best law undergraduate courses, I would like to be either a human rights lawyer or an solicitor.

I was wondering whether a human rights lawyer would be a better job than a solicitor.

Appreciate the help- thank you
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It really depends what sort of grades you're expecting to get - are you going to be able to get at least AAA in your A-levels?
Student200112
Rep:
?
Well so far I am predicted BBB- but this will soon change after the summer exams .
LA97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Human Rights "Lawyer" in the UK isn't its own thing. You can be a HR solicitor or barrister.
Student200112
Rep:
?
(Original post by Louu1)
Human Rights "Lawyer" in the UK isn't its own thing. You can be a HR solicitor or barrister.
Thank you - I never knew that, people told you could become a human rights lawyer
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It doesn't sound like you know much about how law works.

You don't choose between being a "human rights lawyer" and being a "solicitor".

You need to choose between being a "barrister" and a "solicitor", and then which field of law you want to go into. You could be a human rights barrister or a human rights solicitor.

In reality, from what I've heard, human rights is one of the hardest fields of law to get into. You're probably best off starting your law degree with an open mind and seeing which aspects of the course you enjoy the most.

I would recommend doing quite a bit of research into the differences between barristers and solicitors - that's something you're going to need to understand.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Regarding which are the "best law undergraduate courses", the answer is probably Oxford and Cambridge, then LSE, UCL, Kings, Durham etc.

But unless you have AAA predictions at the very minimum those won't be options for you (and I think some require A*AA). Even if a course states AAA as the entry requirements, many applicants will be applying with A*A*A* predictions, and these are extremely competitive courses (around 20% offer rate for UCL/LSE, probably less for Oxbridge)

You're best off applying for one or two "aspirational" options, then two realistic ones (so in your case, probably AAB/ABB courses), and then one insurance choice that you know you'll definitely get into.
LA97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Student200112)
Thank you - I never knew that, people told you could become a human rights lawyer
You're welcome. The point is solicitor or barrister are the routes in the UK to become a qualified lawyer. Solicitors prepare cases while barristers argue the law and present them.

If you can get your grades up and can afford it apply to Russel Group unis. KCL UCL Queen Mary Bristol...
It's very competitive out there, and HR law is very in Vogue.

As mentioned above, until you study law, you can't really know what you like. You might change your mind and find things you didnt think you'd like. Especially when you see the salaries for HR law haha
Last edited by LA97; 8 months ago
LawSolutions
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Student200112)
Do research on different types of law! There are so many options unheard of until you start the degree.

A vast amount of students want to become a HR barrister until they realise the pay isn't all that. If you are not fussed and prefer the intrinsic value then by all means go for it, just make sure to do research before hand.

As for universities, AAA, if you take the LNAT - I would suggest Uni of Nottingham, Durham, Kings college? If BBB then maybe Liverpool or Newcastle?

The university you pick must be something you pick on your own, the best university but will also cater your needs, close/far from home, quiet/busy city, etc!

Have fun deciding!

edit:
Keep in mind that Law is very competitive, so the better university you go to, then more advantage you have. Try to get as much work experience and mini pupillages as possible during your time.
Last edited by LawSolutions; 8 months ago
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
moved to the law forum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.18%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.11%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.85%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.76%
There's nothing they could do (50)
28.09%

Watched Threads

Latest