The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Social work bursary and Universal credits

Hey all!

So I actually have an offer for the Masters in Social Work and have been nominated by my uni for the social work bursary! Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Bring on September 2019!

My question is about the social work bursary and how much it affects Universal credits...

I had an absolute nightmare with them this year, I literally had to evidence Legislation and contacted someone from the DfE and all sorts! I'm finally now on the correct amount of UC and not £0 ( Only 4 months late) :tongue:

So I should qualify for the full amount of the additional maintenance amount of the SWB... and also something towards my fees.. however, I will have to pay about £2000 out of my bursary for remaining course fees.

Is there any disregarded amount of the bursary like with the BA student maintenance loan? or is it all counted as income? anyone have experience of this so i can get a head of the game to get all the evidence i need sorted so i dont have the same problems I had this year! lol

cheers for any help! I really need it! haha
Hi!

Can't comment completely on your situation, but as a PhD student who gets postdoc loan, only about 10% of this yearly is counted as extra income. For me, the money, even though most of it goes on tution fees was counted completely because the loan went straight to me as opposed to at undergrad where part goes straight to your uni for tuition.
Reply 2
Hi can I ask what the outcome of this was. I am currently looking at applying (single parent 2 children) but so far every uni have said I would only have enough to cover course fee but unsure what the universal credit situation is
Reply 3
Original post by kboyle96
Hi can I ask what the outcome of this was. I am currently looking at applying (single parent 2 children) but so far every uni have said I would only have enough to cover course fee but unsure what the universal credit situation

Another wondering if you got any insider knowledge Im due to start my SW MA and wondering if any of the bursary gets considered as income..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending