The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Manchester or Leeds - Music?

I cannot make my mind up whether I want to put Manchester or Leeds University as my first choice to study music in September 2019. Any advice or information about either city, university or music course that would help me choose one over the other would be very much appreciated!:smile:
Original post by billy234
I cannot make my mind up whether I want to put Manchester or Leeds University as my first choice to study music in September 2019. Any advice or information about either city, university or music course that would help me choose one over the other would be very much appreciated!:smile:

I've moved this thread so it appears in both University of Manchester and University of Leeds

Whilst you wait for responses, you should look at the music modules and see which one appeals to you the most, and consider planning a visit to both cities for a feel of the campus and the city itself if you haven't done so already.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I'm not actually doing a music degree but I did think seriously about doing it for uni. You could just make a list of the good and bad points for each. Stuff I'd look at:

How much does the course fit your interests e.g. if you like theory/history/composing/performing/classical/jazz/etc, etc - how much option is there to do those things?

What are the music facilities like - practice rooms, etc

Does the uni have bands/orchestras/choirs that suit your style of music?

What is the campus like? Personally I have been to both and much preferred Leeds :smile:

Other activities/socieites etc that you might want to do like sport or other interests?

How easy/expensive is it to get to from where you live?

Which city do you prefer? Manchester is bigger so more gigs and other things going on, though Leeds still has a lot and is a great city too & easier to walk to places.

Look at unistats for how well rated the course is, student feedback, etc

Cost of accommodation.

If you've been to offer holder days or open days did you get a good feeling for the music departments, lecturers, etc. If you've emailed/phoned them, how helpful were they?

Those are the kind of things I would look at anyway. Good luck with your decision.
Reply 3
Original post by scotorange
I'm not actually doing a music degree but I did think seriously about doing it for uni. You could just make a list of the good and bad points for each. Stuff I'd look at:

How much does the course fit your interests e.g. if you like theory/history/composing/performing/classical/jazz/etc, etc - how much option is there to do those things?

What are the music facilities like - practice rooms, etc

Does the uni have bands/orchestras/choirs that suit your style of music?

What is the campus like? Personally I have been to both and much preferred Leeds :smile:

Other activities/socieites etc that you might want to do like sport or other interests?

How easy/expensive is it to get to from where you live?

Which city do you prefer? Manchester is bigger so more gigs and other things going on, though Leeds still has a lot and is a great city too & easier to walk to places.

Look at unistats for how well rated the course is, student feedback, etc

Cost of accommodation.

If you've been to offer holder days or open days did you get a good feeling for the music departments, lecturers, etc. If you've emailed/phoned them, how helpful were they?

Those are the kind of things I would look at anyway. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you there are definitely some things on here that I hadn't taken into account, I am starting to lean a bit more towards Manchester but that will probably have changed by tomorrow! Thanks again:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest