The Student Room Group

Veterinary student British army

So the army states on the website that "You will receive an annual payment of £5,000 for up to three years" - does anyone know anything about this? I'm going to be starting my veterinary medicine studies in two years and this funding would help A LOT! Obviously i'd then be contracted to be a veterinarian in the British Army but does anyone know how long for? How long is the Army contract or does it depend on your speciality? Sorry if this is too much!! Thanks for any help in advance
If you get a bursary, you will receive £5000 a year for your final 3 years at uni. When you graduate, you have to do between 12-24 months of small animal practice, so at Vets For Pets or PDSA. Then, you do a short commission course (8 or 11 weeks, not sure as I have conflicting info) at Sandhurst (you can choose to do the full 44 week one if you want). After completing Sandhurst you get £45000 (taxable). Then you do a 3 week EOC course at Litchfield before becomming a Troop Commander at MWD Regiment.

The commission is 4 years minimum. If you pull out early, you have to pay back your bursary.

My advice, don't do it for the money, make sure it's something you really want to do - you may get to vet school and completely change your mind and want to do farm or exotics!

Any other questions, let me know.
Reply 2
That was an incredible help thank you so much! I initally applied for the army reserves for a completely different role so i definitly wanted to follow the army path, then i saw the bursary and just wanted to know more. Thanks so much again!!

Quick Reply

Latest