The Student Room Group

How should I revise Macbeth for GCSE English Literature?

Tbh I don't really know how to tackle revision for English Literauture as a whole. For my Year 11 Mocks I didn't know how to revise for it and I still don't.

Can someone give me a step by step guide on how to revise this please?

If you're going to say 'use Mr Bruff' how should I use the information he gives?

Also what are the main themes in Macbeth?Because on the internet I see lots of random themes but not the main ones.
Original post by AngelStarfire
Tbh I don't really know how to tackle revision for English Literauture as a whole. For my Year 11 Mocks I didn't know how to revise for it and I still don't.

Can someone give me a step by step guide on how to revise this please?

If you're going to say 'use Mr Bruff' how should I use the information he gives?

Also what are the main themes in Macbeth?Because on the internet I see lots of random themes but not the main ones.

You are meant to have been studying this book for c 16 months.
Is it just Macbeth or English literature overall?

If you dont know EL then read his general book on EL and then the one on Macbeth.
The practice writing essays.

For Shakespeare I would know.

1. Plot.
2. The characters in the play and be able to answer questions about their motivations and actions.
3. The themes in the play
4. Playwrights intent i,e ideas about what the purpose of the play is from the playwrights perspective.
I would have good notes including relevant quotes
so I could show the examiner I knew the text and back up my arguments by quoting important sections.
I would then practice exam papers and know the type of questions.
Parctice helps you get used to essays and soemtimes there are different types such as where you just get a passage to comment on.

You should be in a position where you know 1-4 already and so you should mostly be doing exam papers.
If not i would have bought a revision guide or you can look for one on the internet , which may not be as good.

You can support the above by listening to Mr Bruff and maybe 4 videos a day.
As you seem lost with EL in general then just start with the general EL book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruffs-Guide-GCSE-English-Literature-ebook/dp/B012TQP2L4

I think Lit charts is pretty good as well.

https://www.litcharts.com/lit/macbeth

Quick Reply

Latest