Cafe owner admits to discriminating against British workers Watch

Abaddon rex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
We didn’t enslave half the globe. That has nothing to do with people alive today.
Someone always brings up the Empire, it really annoys me, why am I or anyone alive today responsible for the acts of our ancestors it’s ludicrous. In fact if you think about it I am more closely related to those that abolished slavery etc than to those who took part in it. Also Britain were not the only people who have used slaves, most of the “modern “ European nations did it, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands. And that’s before we consider the middle east trade and the fact that some African tribes raided their neighbours to sell as slaves long before Europeans turned up. So why do we have to keep going on about the past, we should learn from history not use it as an excuse to continue with egregious behaviour. There are some significant worries, among the working class and benefit claimers that believe they get a rough deal compared to foreigners I am not saying it is right but it exists and our government just exasperates the problem. It is their poorly written laws and hastily and badly made decisions that have led to this situation.
Personally I have no problem with anyone who comes here to improve their life prospects, good luck to them, but I know of a number of examples of migrants sending more than half their wages home and still living a better life than they did. Slowly it damages the economy, but to the man on the street the more important thing is that these migrants do have a great work ethic because to them a bottom rung of the ladder job pays well, where as a British person will struggle to live on the same money. The migrants manage this by sharing houses with other migrants so they share out the costs.
I am not saying all migrants justvthat some do this, also I have no problem with them doing it, but it does make some feel they are ata disadvantage in their own country.
Bazyli
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
We didn’t enslave half the globe. That has nothing to do with people alive today.
It has a lot to do with most things today, actually. Which university did you go to?
···
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
if british people are lazy then why how so many british people make important discoveries in medicine, science, engineering and a myraid of other fields?
laziness breeds creativity?
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Bazyli)
It has a lot to do with most things today, actually. Which university did you go to?
I am not telling you that information. It has nothing to do with the PEOPLE alive today, why is that so hard to understand?
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
What is the difference between the two instances, in your view?
The ability to have an account on a private platform such as Twitter, or attend a private party, or buy a cake from a bakery, is a luxury. For the government to mandate that private organizations or businesses must serve or host everyone would lead to a legal morass that isn't worth the potential benefit to the consumer or user - as I say, these things are luxuries. There are also, often, alternatives: people can set up their own social media platforms, buy from a different bakery, or host their own private party.

By contrast, employment isn't a luxury, and many people find it very difficult to get a job. It's also economically inefficient to refuse to hire someone competent on the basis of their race, gender, sexual orientation or political beliefs. This would harm the economy if it were practiced on a widespread basis. I suspect that the absence of Alex Jones on Twitter, by contrast, is either neutral or net-positive.

Again, this is not to say that I support the wanton removal of political figures from social media platforms. It is wrong for three reasons: firstly, it feeds into the "censorship" narrative that some are promulgating; secondly, it is not impossible to imagine that the tables might be turned in the years to come, and people who are advocating for good policies might be removed; third, we should all have some epistemic humility and expose ourselves to alternative viewpoints (though the evidence suggests that doing so on social media, a very heated environment, actually leads us to become entrenched in our beliefs, on average.)
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
The cafe owners are clearly operating illegally. They don't allow their staff to take sick days (they later added 'without a sick note' but really, they're the kind to severely pressure employees not to, and sick notes are only legally requied after 7 days of sickness). They dock wages from previous shifts, something illegal under labour law.

Seems like they're inferior bosses.
I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (42)
11.97%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
11.11%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.13%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.56%
No (250)
71.23%

Watched Threads