The Student Room Group

This is so unfair!!!!

I graduated my bachelors with a 1st with honors...I then graduated my Masters with a 1st/Distinction... the highest grades you can get and yet 2 years later and I still can't find a job.

I have so many voluntary roles under my belt, I worked all 4 years during uni alongside my studies, I got involved with a bunch of societies and helped some charities, so I'm fairly all-rounded.

So why am I so unemployable??? I'm looking in all the right places, I'm being realistic about what jobs to apply for, I've had my CVs and cover letters checked by many employment services but I am still jobless.

What is going on?? Why is this happening?? I worked so hard during all my studies and this is my reward.

I may come off as bratty or whatever, but I am of course not like this during interviews, my interview technique is good. I am just venting because I can be anonymous..

But I would REALLY like some help. My mental and physical health is seriously draining...
Wow. Did you graduate in something .. worthwhile?

Are you sure it's not your interview technique?
Reply 2
Out of curiosity, what were your degrees in and what have you been applying for.
Very curious.
Reply 4
Original post by FailedMyMocks
Wow. Did you graduate in something .. worthwhile?

Are you sure it's not your interview technique?

It definitely isn't my interview technique, I always do tons of research about the company beforehand, I always make sure to look professional and am always smiley and friendly.

My degree is worthwhile enough, it wasn't in finance/engineering/business etc but it wasn't useless.. i would have thought the fact that I have a degree x2 would count for something. I wasnted to do my course and I'm glad I did it.
Have you been constantly applying in those 2 years? Jobs are becoming a bit of a numbers game where you just have to keep applying to as many as possible. For the roles you have applied to, how far in the process are you getting? If you’re consistently falling at a certain stage (CV sift, interview, psychometric tests etc) then that could indicate where you need to work on your application. For now, the best thing you can do is to keep applying and keep gaining experience as much as you can, through a part time job, internships etc. It sounds like you’re doing all the right stuff but unfortunately the job market is super competitive so it can take time, but if you keep pushing then something will eventually come along. Best of luck!
Original post by Anonymous
It definitely isn't my interview technique, I always do tons of research about the company beforehand, I always make sure to look professional and am always smiley and friendly.

My degree is worthwhile enough, it wasn't in finance/engineering/business etc but it wasn't useless.. i would have thought the fact that I have a degree x2 would count for something. I wasnted to do my course and I'm glad I did it.

Why so shy about your degree subjects and universities?
I graduated my bachelors with a 1st with honors...I then graduated my Masters with a 1st/Distinction... the highest grades you can get and yet 2 years later and I still can't find a job.

I have so many voluntary roles under my belt, I worked all 4 years during uni alongside my studies, I got involved with a bunch of societies and helped some charities, so I'm fairly all-rounded.

So why am I so unemployable??? I'm looking in all the right places, I'm being realistic about what jobs to apply for, I've had my CVs and cover letters checked by many employment services but I am still jobless.

What is going on?? Why is this happening?? I worked so hard during all my studies and this is my reward.

I may come off as bratty or whatever, but I am of course not like this during interviews, my interview technique is good. I am just venting because I can be anonymous..

But I would REALLY like some help. My mental and physical health is seriously draining...

No-one is entitled to a job.

What is your degree and what sort of roles have you applied for?
Original post by ageshallnot
Why so shy about your degree subjects and universities?

Aye, I am always curious when people mention the "with hons" bit.
Reply 9
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Have you been constantly applying in those 2 years? Jobs are becoming a bit of a numbers game where you just have to keep applying to as many as possible. For the roles you have applied to, how far in the process are you getting? If you’re consistently falling at a certain stage (CV sift, interview, psychometric tests etc) then that could indicate where you need to work on your application. For now, the best thing you can do is to keep applying and keep gaining experience as much as you can, through a part time job, internships etc. It sounds like you’re doing all the right stuff but unfortunately the job market is super competitive so it can take time, but if you keep pushing then something will eventually come along. Best of luck!

You're the first helpful, mature answer! Thank you!!

It is ridiculously competitive and I'll keep applying for internships etc so hopefully will get somewhere soon.

Thanks again!!
You're the first helpful, mature answer! Thank you!!

It is ridiculously competitive and I'll keep applying for internships etc so hopefully will get somewhere soon.

Thanks again!!

How can anyone be helpful when you withhold key information such as your degree subjects, the university you attended and the types of jobs you're going for? 😕

Hi there

I'm really sorry that you are struggling with employment after you have studied so hard and volunteered but the fact that you are looking for advice is really positive. I'm hoping I can help you.

There are a few different reasons why you may be struggling to find employment but without knowing more it is difficult to identify how best we can support you. It may be that many of the jobs you are applying to are at a higher level where paid experience in a role with enhanced responsibility is required, it may be that you are not making the most of your transferable skills in your applications or it could be a completely different reason.

I understand not wanting to share personal details on a public forum but you could talk in confidence with one of our friendly, expert advisers. Anything you share with us strictly confidential and we are an impartial service so we are able to listen to you and your situation and offer advice that helps you to overcome whatever barriers you may face. Hopefully our advisers can help you identify what it is that you could be doing differently and support you to get into the career you want.

This is a free service and there is no limit to the amount of times you can seek support. Our advisers are available every day from 8am to 10pm and you can go to a webchat with them through this link:
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

To get you started however you may want to take a look at the "Help to get a job" part of our website. It has useful guides for your CV, covering letters, as well as guides on how to find a job through networking and other methods:
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/get-a-job

I hope this helps!
Rosy

Quick Reply