Feedback from tutors Watch

ArtyB
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Can tutors personally attack you in their feedback?

I feel my tutor has been nothing but nasty and negative in my feedback. I can take constructive criticism but this just seems/feels personal. Who should I talk to about it? Should I ask her why she was so personal in my feedback? Are tutors allowed to put their own personal bias against you, into their feedback and grading of your work?
Daigan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Can you post what they wrote so that we can better advise you? It might be them or it might be you misreading.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ask for feedback in writing. That tends to reduce the risk of the personal criticism. Maybe, just maybe, you’re doing something that exasperates them.
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ArtyB)
Can tutors personally attack you in their feedback?

I feel my tutor has been nothing but nasty and negative in my feedback. I can take constructive criticism but this just seems/feels personal. Who should I talk to about it? Should I ask her why she was so personal in my feedback? Are tutors allowed to put their own personal bias against you, into their feedback and grading of your work?
As another poster said, we can't really judge unless we read the feedback ourselves.

Obviously it doesn't feel great to be 'personally attacked', but for all we know the advice could have been appropriate.
ArtyB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
Ask for feedback in writing. That tends to reduce the risk of the personal criticism. Maybe, just maybe, you’re doing something that exasperates them.
Sorry for the late reply, I have mental health and was struggling a little. But anyway it turns out she was being nasty and has since had a disciplinary for it. I don't still have the feedback but it made me feel awful. I now have another tutor
ArtyB
Rep:
?
It was just a bit steep. It had nothing positive to say about my work and everything negative. But when I showed my other tutors, they thought my dissertation was great and didn't deserve the harsh feedback. Yes, of course, there are points that let it down but she just made the whole thing look like crap.
ArtyB
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
As another poster said, we can't really judge unless we read the feedback ourselves.

Obviously it doesn't feel great to be 'personally attacked', but for all we know the advice could have been appropriate.
Other tutors read my work and her feedback and they agreed there are points to improve but her feedback was just all completely negative. She has since been "told off", so fo speak I now have another tutor. Again, sorry for the late responses :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How are you feeling ahead of this paper?

Feeling positive! (10)
11.49%
Okay. Just a little more work... (27)
31.03%
Not feeling great (29)
33.33%
Send URGENT HELP!!! (21)
24.14%

Watched Threads