St Andrews or UCL Medical School Help!

Watch this thread
Benji.Samosa
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have applied to UCL, St Andrews, Plymouth and Manchester.
I am torn between UCL and St Andews. (currently got offers from UCL and Plymouth). Hear back from St Andrews in March.

After visiting St Andrews it seems quite peaceful and the people were so friendly. I just worry i would get bored there after a while, but the student satisfaction rates for St Andrews destroys UCL, for a good reason.

UCL is a world recognised and its in London so always lots to do (even though v expensive) and lots of opportunities. But UCL feels quite cold if you know what i mean, am i wrong? Like not as much of a friendly community feel; when compared to St Andrews. But in the long run being in London is gonna benefit me especially when i'm young and hungry.

Sorry for the word vomit, but just wanted to show my conflict of interest. Sacrifice opportunity for community? Can anyone give me some advice on deciding please.
Benji.Samosa
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
I am torn between UCL and St Andews. (currently got offers from all 4 medical schools)
After visiting St Andrews it seems quite peaceful and the people were so friendly. I just worry i would get bored there after a while, but the student satisfaction rates for St Andrews destroys UCL, for a good reason.

UCL is a world recognised and its in London so always lots to do (even though v expensive) and lots of opportunities. But UCL feels quite cold if you know what i mean, am i wrong? Like not as much of a friendly community feel; when compared to St Andrews. But in the long run being in London is gonna benefit me especially when i'm young and hungry.

Sorry for the word vomit, but just wanted to show my conflict of interest. Sacrifice opportunity for community? Can anyone give me some advice on deciding please.
Benji.Samosa
Rep:
I am torn between UCL and St Andrews. (currently got offers from all 4 medical schools)
After visiting St Andrews it seems quite peaceful and the people were so friendly. I just worry i would get bored there after a while, but the student satisfaction rates for St Andrews destroys UCL, most likely for a good reason.

UCL is a world recognised and its in London so always lots to do (even though v expensive) and lots of opportunities. But UCL feels quite cold if you know what i mean, am i wrong? Like not as much of a friendly community feel/student campus; when compared to St Andrews. But in the long run being in London is gonna benefit me especially when i'm young and hungry.

Sorry for the word vomit, but just wanted to show my conflict of interest. Between opportunity or community? Can anyone give me some advice on deciding please.
Benji.Samosa
Rep:
I am torn between UCL and St Andrews. (currently got offers from all 4 medical schools)
After visiting St Andrews it seems quite peaceful and the people were so friendly. I just worry i would get bored there after a while, but the student satisfaction rates for St Andrews destroys UCL, most likely for a good reason.

UCL is a world recognised and its in London so always lots to do (even though v expensive) and lots of opportunities. But UCL feels quite cold if you know what i mean, am i wrong? Like not as much of a friendly community feel/student campus; when compared to St Andrews. But in the long run being in London is gonna benefit me especially when i'm young and hungry.

Sorry for the word vomit, but just wanted to show my conflict of interest. Between opportunity or community? Can anyone give me some advice on deciding please.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Depends if you want to move after 3 years or not.
Social life for St andrew's isn't great (friends who I know who go there go to Dundee). And it is quite quiet, but you will get to move to a different city after 3 years.
Benji.Samosa
Rep:
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Depends if you want to move after 3 years or not.
Social life for St andrew's isn't great (friends who I know who go there go to Dundee). And it is quite quiet, but you will get to move to a different city after 3 years.
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention I am on the UK route so will be going to Manchester or Barts after the 3 years in St Andrews...Which is a big bonus.

UCL is more recognised and I presume they have better connections and facilities than St Andrews Med school from being in London and more funding/prestige etc. My friend says St Andrews is more student orientated and a smaller more friendly community than UCL which i can appreciate.

I just don't think i should pass up on the opportunity's UCL location and uni give me especially when i'm young and just starting my career...
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Benji_1999)
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention I am on the UK route so will be going to Manchester or Barts after the 3 years in St Andrews...Which is a big bonus.

UCL is more recognised and I presume they have better connections and facilities than St Andrews Med school from being in London and more funding/prestige etc. My friend says St Andrews is more student orientated and a smaller more friendly community than UCL which i can appreciate.

I just don't think i should pass up on the opportunity's UCL location and uni give me especially when i'm young and just starting my career...
I don't know much about UCL, hence why I didn't comment on it in my previous post.
I feel like UCL could potentially give you more opportunities, and yes it is bigger, but that doesn't stop the social aspect of it. Not all people will be cold
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads