The Student Room Group

A levels CIE and EDEXCEL

I have taken math and further math in CIE board. I can't take bio or chem as it needs practicals. Somebody advised me to take bio in edexcel as there is no need for practicals. I am home schooling.
1.Is it true that edexcel doesn't have practicals paper?
2. Can I take math and further math in cie and bio in edexcel or should all opted subjects be taken in the same board?
3. If it's allowed will universities accept ?
Pls advise.
Original post by Shas72
I have taken math and further math in CIE board. I can't take bio or chem as it needs practicals. Somebody advised me to take bio in edexcel as there is no need for practicals. I am home schooling.
1.Is it true that edexcel doesn't have practicals paper?
2. Can I take math and further math in cie and bio in edexcel or should all opted subjects be taken in the same board?
3. If it's allowed will universities accept ?
Pls advise.

1. Edexcel International A level does have exam papers to test your knowledge of practical tasks (Unit 3 and Unit 6) but not a hands-on practical exam. It is hard to prepare for these exam papers if you haven't ever done any practical work, but not impossible. You can view past papers for Unit 3 and 6 on the edexcel web site so you understand what they will test.

2. Yes you can do some with one examiner and some with another. It is not unusual to do so.

3. In the UK, universities do not care what mixture of examiners you have taken for A levels. Most people will offer subjects from at least 2 different ones. I can't guarantee that would be true in every country you could possibly apply to. Some countries can be very strict about what qualifications are acceptable. You should contact admissions staff at universities you want to apply to and explain your situation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much for replying. I am taking economics as my third subject. But I know economics is not my favourite and it will be really tough. For me math and bio has always been easy. I did my schooling till igcse and have done practicals.

Quick Reply

Latest