Would you use a nickname to seem less ‘ethnic’

Watch
Human_bean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just wondering because I’ll be honest, I have considered it at times.
I have a traditional long Indian name and I’ve always thought about using my nickname instead.

Any opinions on that?
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Human_bean)
Just wondering because I’ll be honest, I have considered it at times.
I have a traditional long Indian name and I’ve always thought about using my nickname instead.

Any opinions on that?
There is nothing wrong with having an ethnic name, so I wouldn't say that is a reason to have a nickname...

However, there is a big advantage to having a name that is easy to remember, pronounce and read... its hugely bennificail as you progress in your career/education, to have people remember you, and to have people not stumble every time your name comes up. It may seem unfair - but any name from any race, that uses prounciation that falls outside of english venacular norms, is a name you cannot expect people to be able to say and remember easily.

Its why a lot of chinese students take english names alongside their chinese names. Its not because they are embarassed or ashamed of their chinese name, they just know that its very hard to read correctly for an english-speaking person, and it will make their professional and academic life far easier if every new contact they meet can easily say and remember their name.

So, no - I wouldn't do it for ethnic reasons.. but there are practical bennifits to adopting a westernised nick-name, if your real name is difficult for people to say/read/remember/write.
Human_bean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
There is nothing wrong with having an ethnic name, so I wouldn't say that is a reason to have a nickname...

However, there is a big advantage to having a name that is easy to remember, pronounce and read... its hugely bennificail as you progress in your career/education, to have people remember you, and to have people not stumble every time your name comes up. It may seem unfair - but any name from any race, that uses prounciation that falls outside of english venacular norms, is a name you cannot expect people to be able to say and remember easily.

Its why a lot of chinese students take english names alongside their chinese names. Its not because they are embarassed or ashamed of their chinese name, they just know that its very hard to read correctly for an english-speaking person, and it will make their professional and academic life far easier if every new contact they meet can easily say and remember their name.

So, no - I wouldn't do it for ethnic reasons.. but there are practical bennifits to adopting a westernised nick-name, if your real name is difficult for people to say/read/remember/write.
Good points. One of my man concerns with using my nickname is whether it will it be professional sounding enough. I feel that in corporate environments it may be better to stick to traditional names. But there’s so much diversity these days that it may not matter.
Last edited by Human_bean; 1 year ago
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Human_bean)
Good points. One of my man concerns with using my nickname is whether it will it be professional sounding enough. I feel that in corporate environments it may be better to stick to traditional names. But there’s so much diversity these days that it may not matter.
I've seen a BBC experiment where they sent off a bunch of CV's with Indian sounding names, and a bunch of CV's with white sounding names with basically the same skills and experience and the white sounding names were called to interview 50% more often than the Indian sounding names.

So if you can change your name it might be worth considering....
Last edited by ANM775; 1 year ago
Adila.h
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I've seen a BBC experiment where they sent off a bunch of CV's with Indian sounding names, and a bunch of CV's with white sounding names with basically the same skills and experience and the white sounding names were called to interview 50% more often than the Indian sounding names.

So if you can change your name it might be worth considering....
hi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
14%
I'm not sure (24)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.18%
I have already dropped out (11)
2%
I'm not a current university student (261)
47.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise