The Student Room Group

Best London Uni for biomed/biological sciences? (Imperial, UCL, KCL)

Hi everyone, I was wondering if some current or past students could give me some personal insight into the following courses:
Biomedical sciences at UCL
Biomedical sciences at KCL
Biological sciences at Imperial College.

In particular, I would like to know if you think that a course is better than the other in terms of academic preparation (does one of them give you a more solid preparation than the other) and if there is any difference in their "prestige" when it comes to future applications (for Msc, PhDs, jobs etc). For example, does the fact that a lot of unsuccessful medicine applicants go for biomed affect the course or study environment in any way?

On top of that, which uni do you think is more prestigious (it might sound silly but it is really important to me)? I know that globally Imperial is ranked higher than UCL (and KCL), but according to some rankings, UCL is better in this field. Do you think there is any meaningful difference between the two? What would you say is the best choice for a career in research? I am also torn between the two courses because I am not sure whether in three years time I am going to change my mind and maybe consider applying to medical school via graduate entry, which I think would only be possible with a biomed degree.

Thanks for your time :smile:
Original post by andy54321

Prestige means nothing. Go with the course that is most interesting to you as that will prep you best for a career in a subject that interests you.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Go with the course that is most interesting to you as that will prep you best for a career in a subject that interests you.

The problem is that I really, really like both of them! Just asking for some personal experience really, to get an idea of what it’s like.
The problem is that I really, really like both of them! Just asking for some personal experience really, to get an idea of what it’s like.

Personal experience is just that. It’s personal and will not help you determine what will be best for you. There will be minor differences in the courses which will help. You need to find them.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Personal experience is just that. It’s personal and will not help you determine what will be best for you. There will be minor differences in the courses which will help. You need to find them.

Thanks! I already spotted the differences between the two, but again I am equally interested in both at the moment. I am aware that somebody else’s experience won’t be representative of mine, but I still feel it might be useful and interesting to hear!
Thanks! I already spotted the differences between the two, but again I am equally interested in both at the moment. I am aware that somebody else’s experience won’t be representative of mine, but I still feel it might be useful and interesting to hear!

No worries. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending