Best London Uni for biomed/biological sciences? (Imperial, UCL, KCL) Watch

andy54321
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone, I was wondering if some current or past students could give me some personal insight into the following courses:
Biomedical sciences at UCL
Biomedical sciences at KCL
Biological sciences at Imperial College.

In particular, I would like to know if you think that a course is better than the other in terms of academic preparation (does one of them give you a more solid preparation than the other) and if there is any difference in their "prestige" when it comes to future applications (for Msc, PhDs, jobs etc). For example, does the fact that a lot of unsuccessful medicine applicants go for biomed affect the course or study environment in any way?

On top of that, which uni do you think is more prestigious (it might sound silly but it is really important to me)? I know that globally Imperial is ranked higher than UCL (and KCL), but according to some rankings, UCL is better in this field. Do you think there is any meaningful difference between the two? What would you say is the best choice for a career in research? I am also torn between the two courses because I am not sure whether in three years time I am going to change my mind and maybe consider applying to medical school via graduate entry, which I think would only be possible with a biomed degree.

Thanks for your time
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by andy54321)
Prestige means nothing. Go with the course that is most interesting to you as that will prep you best for a career in a subject that interests you.
andy54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Go with the course that is most interesting to you as that will prep you best for a career in a subject that interests you.
The problem is that I really, really like both of them! Just asking for some personal experience really, to get an idea of what it’s like.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The problem is that I really, really like both of them! Just asking for some personal experience really, to get an idea of what it’s like.
Personal experience is just that. It’s personal and will not help you determine what will be best for you. There will be minor differences in the courses which will help. You need to find them.
andy54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Personal experience is just that. It’s personal and will not help you determine what will be best for you. There will be minor differences in the courses which will help. You need to find them.
Thanks! I already spotted the differences between the two, but again I am equally interested in both at the moment. I am aware that somebody else’s experience won’t be representative of mine, but I still feel it might be useful and interesting to hear!
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks! I already spotted the differences between the two, but again I am equally interested in both at the moment. I am aware that somebody else’s experience won’t be representative of mine, but I still feel it might be useful and interesting to hear!
No worries. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (97)
13.55%
The paper was reasonable (398)
55.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (166)
23.18%
It was TERRIBLE (55)
7.68%

Watched Threads