an ex-slacker's journey / y13 g. y. g. Watch

jnnfr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
so when they told me i’d actually have to try in my a-levels, i paid exactly no attention.

that’s right. zero. zilch. i carried on without a care in the world.

i got through my gcses without revising or even really paying attention for most of the time. I was one of those annoying little kids who’d copy off their mate’s homework at the start of the class, going “haha lol revision is for nerrrds” as i did the bare minimum preparation for any topic tests.

as you can probably imagine, it was a surprise to most people that i managed to pass my gcses.

so when it got to the september of 2017, i skipped into college with a sense of airy abandon. “haha,” i said merrily, “i can’t wait for the fun and larks i’ll have whilst doing my a-levels! there’s no way that this can be any harder than gcses!”

i was wrong, dear reader. i was so, so wrong.

the choices i’d taken (computer science, psychology, and the englishes) not only made me realize that i was no good at computer science, but also that i hated writing essays with a vehement passion. this was, needless to say, rather unfortunate for someone who had taken three essay-based subjects, not to mention the thousands of words i needed to write for my computer science coursework. i skived whenever i could, stretching out doctor’s appointments into hours and incurring the mild-to-moderate irritation of my teachers at parents’ evening. by the end of may, i was using my computer science lessons to do my psychology homework and my e. p. q. (on the delightful subject of domestic murder) was shabby at best. my mock exam results were the terrible grades that broke the camel’s back. something needed to change.

and so it did.

i went to the university fair with nothing more than a pair of cutoff dungarees and a mild sense of relief at not having to be at school. i came back with a metaphorical stick up my arse. it had finally clicked with me. this wasn’t a game anymore. i couldn’t just rely on being 'alright at maths' to pull me through my a-levels. if i didn’t do something soon, i wouldn’t get into any uni, let alone one of the good ones. i was sick to the death of not trying hard enough.

so in the september of 2018, i came back with a plan.

i chucked computer science - i hadn’t paid attention for most of the first year and my coursework was in shambles. i forced myself to pay attention in lessons. i bought pastel highlighters and ink pens to make my notes attractive. i started to put effort into my homework, to attend to my targets, to try doing more than the bare minimum. i put off applying to university until my predicted grades changed, and they have - since the start of the year, they’ve been changed from bbb to aaa.

now, here’s the issue. i’m not sure if i can get these grades. i’m working at a b in my subjects. in many ways, it would have been better if i’d have repeated the year, but the thought terrified me. i don’t know whether i’ll be able to break my slacker habits.

but quitters never prosper, and i’m not going to be a quitter.

i know how hard it is to break habits. i know there are times where you have to push and push and push to get even the tiniest bit of work done. i know there are days where you can’t get anything done at all and you’re frustrated and you feel like a failure because of it. but you’re not a failure. you’re stronger and smarter and braver than you realize, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

i’m not sure how often i’ll be updating - i don’t really know what i’m doing with this whole blogging thing, so i guess i’ll be updating when something happens on my journey to those a grades.

or when i’m trying to avoid revision.

until next time,
jenni x
_pxmudi_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good luck on getting those As. :thumbsup: I know you can do it.
Check out my GYG blog if you can. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5796492
So now are you doing A2?
Last edited by _pxmudi_; 1 week ago
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by jnnfr)
x
Best of luck! :rave:
jnnfr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by _pxmudi_)
Good luck on getting those As. :thumbsup: I know you can do it.
Check out my GYG blog if you can. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5796492
So now are you doing A2?
thank you! i am doing a2, yes (: and i'll check it out!
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Best of luck! :rave:
thank you! <3
jnnfr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
update the first.

as of today (or yesterday, rather, if i’m posting this in the wee hours of friday morning) i am on february break. i would be, at least, if it wasn’t for the five-hour revision session my psychology teacher has created, meaning that whilst the rest of the school gets the day off, we have to be in bright and early to learn All About Statistics.

oh, the larks we have.

a couple of updates since my lack check-in (i hope i’m not going to make it into a habit to post solely on fridays, but time will tell) i’ve been on a visit to newcastle university, which has definitely helped a lot with getting a feel for the place as well as information about the course i’m taking. personally, i really liked the day - the course seemed to be less child-centric than lancaster’s, which is good because i’m more into the forensic side of things. the only issue i might say is that they were heavy on evolutionary psychology, which is my self-proclaimed nemesis. anyway! if you haven’t been on any post-application (post-offer? i can’t remember the term) visits yet, i’d definitely recommend it - even if you’ve been on a previous open day, these ones are much more catered to the subject you’ve chosen.

my other big update is that i’ve been accepted into university college, durham! they actually sent me an email several days ago, but i was expecting a letter and managed to ignore said email until about an hour ago. it might sound dumb, but i’m so excited about getting in - i can honestly say that i never thought i’d make it into durham, much less into university college. let this spur me on! or at least give me a mild sense of confidence!

aside from this, the week has gone pretty smoothly by. i haven’t been doing as much revision in the evenings as i would have hoped for, but i’m hoping to really ramp up my revision in the holidays so that my mocks go as well as i could have hoped for. other plans for the holidays include visiting lancaster university and finally sorting my gym membership out, because it ran out two weeks ago and i’ve been sneaking in with a friend and i’m pretty sure they’re onto me by now.

that’s about all for now! i hope everybody’s had a brilliant week so far, and that if you haven’t, remember that the valentine’s day chocolate goes on sale tomorrow . . . time to stock up, methinks.

until next time,
jenni x
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
congrats on getting into university college at durham! :woo: it's notoriously popular :lol:
hope you have a great break :hugs:
jnnfr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by nyxnko_)
congrats on getting into university college at durham! :woo: it's notoriously popular :lol:
hope you have a great break :hugs:
thank youu! i did hear a lot about how popular it is, haha (: i hope you have a good break as well!
alevelshelpit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Do you have any essay plans for psychology? What stage are you at in your revision? Have u started? X
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
(Original post by jnnfr)
thank youu! i did hear a lot about how popular it is, haha (: i hope you have a good break as well!
:giggle:
thank you :hugs:
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
Best of luck with the two English subjects, as well as with the whole ordeal of the second A-level year. I too am taking those two subjects. What awarding body are you with, and what prescribed texts do you have for literature? We can work together on some things, if you would ever want to.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 12 hours ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.07%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.7%
No, but I want to start (186)
35.91%
No, I am unable to (121)
23.36%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.96%