The Student Room Group

How would you revise for English GCSE to get a 6 or an old B?

I am resitting English Language GCSE and I would like to get a 6 but it is a big jump from a 2 for me but is an old B. Any help in possible ways of revising to get it would be great.
Original post by mjhmichael18
I am resitting English Language GCSE and I would like to get a 6 but it is a big jump from a 2 for me but is an old B. Any help in possible ways of revising to get it would be great.

Do you know what sort of areas you need to work on?

I’d suggest doing a couple of practice essays and getting a teacher to mark them and provide detailed feedback. Then you’ll have something to work off and you can work on each one gradually.

Simple things you could do are:
- Build up you vocabulary (gives you more flexibility to express your ideas)
- Look at different writing techniques and try implementing them in small sentences/paragraphs (e.g. try writing a descriptive paragraph using similes and metaphors)
- If grammar is something you struggle with, try to review an old piece of work and see where you struggled, or try to correct it yourself - it might require some research into how to use different types but it’s all good to know

Hope that helps a bit! :smile:
It does help a bit. I think I might need a tutor to help me do it as well as that might help me push my grade up.
Vocabulary
Reading Visual Pictures
Comparing two texts
Language features
Writing Letters on a Particular Issue
Basically the skills for every question except for the first question on each paper.

I don’t really struggle with grammar because I have an English Teacher for a mother.

I may look at different writing techniques as that may also help.

I may also try to build up my vocabulary as that should help me push my grade up.

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by mjhmichael18

mrbruff vids on youtube is how i revised. practice some unseen and you should be fine.
Okay. I will look at Mr Bruff and Mr Salles videos during Easter and May or whenever I am revising thanks and March for my mock.
APPRECIATE what you are reading. I got 9s in English Lit and Lang at GCSE, but in my Year 10 mock I got a 6. A key reason for my improvement is because I realised that there truly is no 'hard and fast formula' for GCSE english. I learnt to appreciate the poetry and texts that I read. Expanding your vernacular is great also.

Not everybody is drawn to creative and perceptive inferences of language, but don't just 'rely' on someone else to analyse for you when you revise. I watched Mr Bruff and he's fantastic, but I disagreed with some of the interpretations he had and used my own thoughts to build on others. Ask yourself questions. English is an art.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey, I know a tuition company that literally helped students get high grades like 6/7. I'm not sure if you live in the area they cover but if you're serious about bringing up your grade I'd highly recommend them!

Quick Reply

Latest