Can a Gatso catch you from the front? Watch

AdamJones_8910
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, accidentally did around 33-34 in a 30 zone yesterday. I think this may have been caught on a Gatso Camera facing me on the opposite side of the road. It was definitely Gatso (not truvelo), Gatsos apparently can only take photos from the rear. However, there were lines on my side of the road and while the camera didnt flash it did show a red light / beam on the camera as I drove past. Should I be worried?
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AdamJones_8910)
Hi, accidentally did around 33-34 in a 30 zone yesterday. I think this may have been caught on a Gatso Camera facing me on the opposite side of the road. It was definitely Gatso (not truvelo), Gatsos apparently can only take photos from the rear. However, there were lines on my side of the road and while the camera didnt flash it did show a red light / beam on the camera as I drove past. Should I be worried?
Well there’s nothing you can do now except wait and see. Try not to panic too much and just make sure you aren’t speeding near cameras again then you shouldn’t need to worry too much.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it didn’t flash twice you’re good. You’d know if a gatso caught you because of how blindingly bright it is. Same happened to me did 33 in a 30 zone but nothing happened. The cameras have a leeway of around +- 3mph on most cases. Besides some vehicles over report the speed you’re doing by 1/2 mph so don’t worry mate. To be on the safe side just stick to 30
Last edited by storm95; 1 week ago
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The reason they put lines on both sides of the road is so that they can turn the cameras around periodically. I doubt you will get a ticket if you are over the speed limit by 3-4mph. It seems to be within the limits of error that the police speed cameras etc have to take into account.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. They can only get you from behind.

Imagine driving towards one and it flashing.. it'd blind you!
AdamJones_8910
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
No. They can only get you from behind.

Imagine driving towards one and it flashing.. it'd blind you!
Thanks. So you think I should be worried about the red light though? Because the next time I drove past it wasn’t there, was worried it might have been some sort of indication I was being recorded.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks. So you think I should be worried about the red light though? Because the next time I drove past it wasn’t there, was worried it might have been some sort of indication I was being recorded.
I wouldn't give it a second thought. I don't even check my speedo when I'm passing speed cameras from the front.
Aaron702
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. They only work from the rear.

Source: I did 50 through one in a 30.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (238)
59.8%
No (160)
40.2%

Watched Threads