The Student Room Group

Can I Write a Play For my EPQ

I'm in Y12 and have decide to do an EPQ. I want it to be involved with theatre/performance so as I've always wanted to write my own play that's what I'd want to do but I'm don't know if I can do that for or as part of my EPQ. Does anyone know?
Reply 1
I don't think that it will be possible, the EPQ is s qualification which tests your research skills. so writing a play will ruin its point, you'll probably get an E or a U 🤷
I think for an EPQ, you can do either a 5000 essay, or a 1000 word report an artifact.
A play could count as an artifact, however, i would ask your EPQ supervisor (if you have one) to check first.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by megatophat
I'm in Y12 and have decide to do an EPQ. I want it to be involved with theatre/performance so as I've always wanted to write my own play that's what I'd want to do but I'm don't know if I can do that for or as part of my EPQ. Does anyone know?

It depends. I think yes, but reserach would have to be at its core. It would be possible to write a play in that context.

Artefact for EPQ (AQA)

An artefact can be a physical outcome such as a book or a short film or it can be a presentation to a specific audience, a play, it could be an event such as a fashion show or a musical evening. In fact there is almost no limit to what can constitute an artefact, as long as it has research at its core.
Reply 4
Original post by Crow_M
I don't think that it will be possible, the EPQ is s qualification which tests your research skills. so writing a play will ruin its point, you'll probably get an E or a U 🤷

There's ways one could frame it. If, for example, you were writing a play about a historic event, then you could do a lot of research into the time period, and the actions of the characters and events you are studying. You could then analyse how what you have learned inlfuenced your character's portrayal in the play.

You could also research famous playwrights, and the common features of plays that manage to hook an audience, in order write your play.

Just watch out if you currently take theatre studies as an A-Level, as there might be some cross-over.
Original post by megatophat

Based on the post by @999tigger it would appear that you can but check first.

Incidentally, I know of someone who wrote her undergraduate dissertation (for Drama) as a play. She is now an established playwright.

Quick Reply

Latest