The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Going to Exeter for Accounting and Finance with a BTEC?

Hello,

I need some advice, what you may read may make you want to sugar coat your words for me or just simply insult me utterly but please don't or atleast hold your horses and be mature because biased response or mockery made on the topic of my situation truth be told is unnecessary and annoying.

I'm 16 and currently at a College doing a Games BTEC that I'm gradually getting tired of and resitting my GCSES, both English Language and Maths. I did sort of 'pass' Maths with a 4 however I have decided to resit Higher Maths, which I have never done before. The reason is that due to the subsequent stigma associated with BTEC I became severely paranoid that I will never find a job, let alone a decent-paying one.

I did find a Sixth Form College that had some pretty mild entry requirements compared to the ones joined with Secondary schools. The college wanted 5's, 6's and so on but because the exam resits are happening in May-June and I STILL don't get the content in higher Maths let alone have the ability to apply it in tests despite hiring a Maths tutor, practicing past papers and asking the teachers in my resit class (also we have those resit classes once a week and they only teach the foundation part) I can see that my chances of getting a 6 in Maths are quite slim even if I work my joints off. If I won't get that 6 this year then I will not be accepted onto A-levels.

So as to my other plan... I guess if I'll fail Maths and not get a 5 or a 6 on the higher tier I'll go do a Business BTEC level 3 Diploma, resit Maths again but at foundation, apply to Exeter and hope for the best. Exeter has an Accounting and Finance course that accepts the BTEC level 3 by itself at DDD alongside GCSE Maths and English at Grade 5. If I'll pass English and Maths then technically I'll have 6 GCSES... 55 from Combined Science, B from Polish, 5 from R.E. and hopefully a 5 or a 6 from English Language and a 5 or a 6 from Maths, so even if I don't go to Sixth form it hopefully won't be way too bad.

Also sorry for the whole ****load of explanation there but I need people to know the context.

My questions: Could I do Accounting and Finance at Exeter with a BTEC? Do any of you know someone who did but with a BTEC alone? What possible salary could I get? Will I be ****ed forevermore like everyone else says? Will I never reach 40k if I won't go to a Russsel Group Uni? Also when Exeter states that they want a BTEC National Diploma in Accounting and Finance Bachelors Degree, does that exclude an extended Diploma?

Thank you for any genuine advice given.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by A-Yellow-Spring
Hello,

I need some advice, what you may read may make you want to sugar coat your words for me or just simply insult me utterly but please don't or atleast hold your horses and be mature because biased response or mockery made on the topic of my situation truth be told is unnecessary and annoying.

I'm 16 and currently at a College doing a Games BTEC that I'm gradually getting tired of and resitting my GCSES, both English Language and Maths. I did sort of 'pass' Maths with a 4 however I have decided to resit Higher Maths, which I have never done before. The reason is that due to the subsequent stigma associated with BTEC I became severely paranoid that I will never find a job, let alone a decent-paying one.

I did find a Sixth Form College that had some pretty mild entry requirements compared to the ones joined with Secondary schools. The college wanted 5's, 6's and so on but because the exam resits are happening in May-June and I STILL don't get the content in higher Maths let alone have the ability to apply it in tests despite hiring a Maths tutor, practicing past papers and asking the teachers in my resit class (also we have those resit classes once a week and they only teach the foundation part) I can see that my chances of getting a 6 in Maths are quite slim even if I work my joints off. If I won't get that 6 this year then I will not be accepted onto A-levels.

So as to my other plan... I guess if I'll fail Maths and not get a 5 or a 6 on the higher tier I'll go do a Business BTEC level 3 Diploma, resit Maths again but at foundation, apply to Exeter and hope for the best. Exeter has an Accounting and Finance course that accepts the BTEC level 3 by itself at DDD alongside GCSE Maths and English at Grade 5. If I'll pass English and Maths then technically I'll have 6 GCSES... 55 from Combined Science, B from Polish, 5 from R.E. and hopefully a 5 or a 6 from English Language and a 5 or a 6 from Maths, so even if I don't go to Sixth form it hopefully won't be way too bad.

Also sorry for the whole ****load of explanation there but I need people to know the context.

My questions: Could I do Accounting and Finance at Exeter with a BTEC? Do any of you know someone who did but with a BTEC alone? What possible salary could I get? Will I be ****ed forevermore like everyone else says? Will I never reach 40k if I won't go to a Russsel Group Uni? Also when Exeter states that they want a BTEC National Diploma in Accounting and Finance Bachelors Degree, does that exclude an extended Diploma?

Thank you for any genuine advice given.

I think you overstate the perceived stigma with btec. Its perfectly fine in a lot of situations. I think youve freaked yourself out for reasons that arent correct.

Just be consistent and do as many past papers, practice tests as you can.

You need a 5 for Exeter for Maths.
Why Exeter and DDD is pretty high up the scale. Why accountancy if you dont like Maths?

1. Yes you can do it with a BTEC just read the entrance requirements.
2. No, but but states you can have BTEC alone and there's no reason for stating it if they didn't accept that.
3. Well just look up job adverts and what it takes to become an accountant.or even graduate accountant. Remember there's a difference between being part qualified and an actual accountant.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/chartered-accountant
https://www.indeed.co.uk/Graduate-Accountant-Salary-jobs-in-England
4. Everyone else is speaking rubbish,. Exeter is an above average uni and if your degree grade is good it should make it easier to get into a decent firm.
5. Yes ofc you can reach 40k if not RG it depends on you being good enough and passing enough further exams and then your employer.
6. It just says BTEC National DDD . the fact it says DDD means its an extended diploma because only the extended gives you three letters as a grade. A diploma gives you two.i.e DD.

Chill out, keep trying with the maths, use YouTube where you don't understand and start believing in yourself.
The way you set out your post was fine and gave me the relevant details plus answerable questions at the end. I think I answered them all.

I would point out Exeter is a competitive uni and those are min grades so you aren't guaranteed an offer. Work on all aspects of your application and if unsure ask them. You will have four other selections with UCAS so choose carefully.

Good luck.

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/revise
(edited 5 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Hey,

It would be very hard for you at Exeter ...

1. The BTEC qualification covers finance in only one module
2. Others at Exeter will have A levels in Maths and Accounting/economics so will be much further ahead of you
3. You will have to do a Maths module at some point in the degree, and considering that you dont have GCSE maths to a good standard it would be very hard, if not impossible for you to 'catch up'.

I would recommend that you look at other qualifications such as ATT and ACA. Also DO WORK EXPERIENCE! This is really under valued and would make your CV light up. Look at PwC, Deloitte and EY to get some experience (I think work experience is part of your BTEC course anyway).

If you have any questions feel free to message me,

Cheers, Lance
Original post by LanceArmstrong
Hey,

2. Others at Exeter will have A levels in Maths and Accounting/economics so will be much further ahead of you
3. You will have to do a Maths module at some point in the degree, and considering that you dont have GCSE maths to a good standard it would be very hard, if not impossible for you to 'catch up'.

I would recommend that you look at other qualifications such as ATT and ACA. Also DO WORK EXPERIENCE! This is really under valued and would make your CV light up. Look at PwC, Deloitte and EY to get some experience (I think work experience is part of your BTEC course anyway).

Cheers, Lance

Original post by 999tigger
I think you overstate the perceived stigma with btec. Its perfectly fine in a lot of situations. I think youve freaked yourself out for reasons that arent correct.

Just be consistent and do as many past papers, practice tests as you can.

You need a 5 for Exeter for Maths.
Why Exeter and DDD is pretty high up the scale. Why accountancy if you dont like Maths?

1. Yes you can do it with a BTEC just read the entrance requirements.
2. No, but but states you can have BTEC alone and there's no reason for stating it if they didn't accept that.
3. Well just look up job adverts and what it takes to become an accountant.or even graduate accountant. Remember there's a difference between being part qualified and an actual accountant.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/chartered-accountant
https://www.indeed.co.uk/Graduate-Accountant-Salary-jobs-in-England
4. Everyone else is speaking rubbish,. Exeter is an above average uni and if your degree grade is good it should make it easier to get into a decent firm.
5. Yes ofc you can reach 40k if not RG it depends on you being good enough and passing enough further exams and then your employer.
6. It just says BTEC National DDD . the fact it says DDD means its an extended diploma because only the extended gives you three letters as a grade. A diploma gives you two.i.e DD.

Chill out, keep trying with the maths, use YouTube where you don't understand and start believing in yourself.
The way you set out your post was fine and gave me the relevant details plus answerable questions at the end. I think I answered them all.

I would point out Exeter is a competitive uni and those are min grades so you aren't guaranteed an offer. Work on all aspects of your application and if unsure ask them. You will have four other selections with UCAS so choose carefully.

Good luck.

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/revise

Thank you very much for both of your responses. I'm quite anxious however if Exeter or Warwick accepts GCSE resits, do they not mind how many times you resat as long as you get the grade required?
Original post by LanceArmstrong
Hey,

Cheers, Lance

If neither Exeter ro Warwick will find me suitable, then I'm pretty much done for. I'm in a bit of red zone since if I'll fail my Higher Maths resit (or get a 4 again) I'll have to choose to either resit foundation or Higher again. Exeter only wants a 5 but if they won't accept me then I'm screwed as they are the only RG uni to hold such low requirements without needing an A-level. However if I dare to resit Higher again for a 6 I'm risking having a hard time with the higher maths content again like I do now.
Reply 5
I would have thought doing a degree in Accountancy & Finance would require a good basis in maths as most students competing for places will be entering with As at A-level including maths & at least B/5 at gcse. I would have thought it would be quite a jump to go from 5s & 6s at gcse to 3 Distinctions at level 3 BTEC
Original post by BBx2
I would have thought doing a degree in Accountancy & Finance would require a good basis in maths as most students competing for places will be entering with As at A-level including maths & at least B/5 at gcse. I would have thought it would be quite a jump to go from 5s & 6s at gcse to 3 Distinctions at level 3 BTEC

As much as I'd like to say no, distinctions are quite easy to achieve in BTEC (and it is something that brings out deep melancholy in me sometimes as I can still hear the reverberating words of my 18-year old ******* mentor on the NCS programme calling the work pissy easy even though only Swansea Uni accepted his A-level results because they where that bad. Yeah sure if a 10,000 word long essay is piss easy for you Lucas). Therefore I'm planning to achieve no less than a D*DD in the Business BTEC if I will study it. With that said I know that I will be competing against a large quantity of people and I know that me choosing an RG uni will be laughable but if I will not get a 6 in Mathematics or English this year I will not be allowed to do A-levels, therefore the only logical solution in that case will be to take an "equivalent" BTEC Business.

Hopefully Universities will not discriminate or look down on the type of qualification that I will possibly take and on the other hand I heard that it is apparently illegal to reject a candidate based on the type of qualification they took (if it states that they accept BTEC for example, and the requirements are met then the reason for rejecting them on the basis of a vocational qualification is not allowed however I'm sure that they can get around this somehow and still reject me anyways) or the rank of the University that they went to when applying for a job but the possibillity of being rejected based on my qualification is still there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BBx2

Also by "jump" do you mean it in a good way or that it is some sort of downstep? Sorry, English is my second Language and even after living here ever since the age of 4 I still get some phrases wrong.
Reply 8
As much as I'd like to say no, distinctions are quite easy to achieve in BTEC (and it is something that brings out deep melancholy in me sometimes as I can still hear the reverberating words of my 18-year old ******* mentor on the NCS programme calling the work pissy easy even though only Swansea Uni accepted his A-level results because they where that bad. Yeah sure if a 10,000 word long essay is piss easy for you). Therefore I'm planning to achieve no less than a D*DD in the Business BTEC if I will study it. With that said I know that I will be competing against a large quantity of people and I know that me choosing an RG uni will be laughable but if I will not get a 6 in Mathematics or English this year I will not be allowed to do A-levels, therefore the only logical solution in that case will be to take an "equivalent" BTEC Business.

Hopefully Universities will not discriminate or look down on the type of qualification that I will possibly take and on the other hand I heard that it is apparently illegal to reject a candidate based on the type of qualification they took (if it states that they accept BTEC for example, and the requirements are met then the reason for rejecting them on the basis of a vocational qualification is not allowed however I'm sure that they can get around this somehow and still reject me anyways) or the rank of the University that they went to when applying for a job but the possibillity of being rejected based on my qualification is still there.

If they have stated that as a qualification that meets the requirements then they will assess you equally for the course. However it will not be the only factor involved, ie persona statement, references, GCSEs etc & could be competitive.

I would also suggest looking at requirements for other universities that may offer courses of interest to ensure your chosen path meets the requirements for more choices for your ucas application.
Reply 9
Also by "jump" do you mean it in a good way or that it is some sort of downstep? Sorry, English is my second Language and even after living here ever since the age of 4 I still get some phrases wrong.

I mean a step up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending