username4486536
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, as a Year 11 who’s already done his mocks, this may seem late.
However, I’ve had a bit of an epiphany concerning future uni choices (spoiler: Oxford for Classics and French) and realised that my A-Levels will matter!!!
I’ll be studying Latin, French, Drama and Theatre Studies, and Psychology at sixth form. I’m definitely the only one taking Latin, and apparently the only one doing Drama.
I’m autistic and my executive functioning is awful. I’m incredibly disorganised but high-achieving at school: on a scholarship (otherwise I wouldn’t bloody go to the school lmao) and generally around the top of the year. However, that’s always been reliant on exams. Homework is not something I can really do. I forget to write it down or I forget to look in my planner and I have nowhere I can study at home. I can’t stay after school as it finishes at 4pm and I get home at 5:30, and I’m not allowed out later than that. I’ve never really been able to kick myself in the butt and do homework. I genuinely don’t think I know how.
So, considering I’ve always had friends who’d lend me answers if I haven’t done it, how should I start to organise myself? I’m thinking that slowly integrating it into Year 11 will help a little to work harder in Year 12. Any tips regarding planners/diaries, organisation, motivation, etc. are appreciated!

TL;DR: local autistic has no self-discipline or executive function and can’t do his own homework. Help?
brainzistheword
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by evantarctic)
So, as a Year 11 who’s already done his mocks, this may seem late.
However, I’ve had a bit of an epiphany concerning future uni choices (spoiler: Oxford for Classics and French) and realised that my A-Levels will matter!!!
I’ll be studying Latin, French, Drama and Theatre Studies, and Psychology at sixth form. I’m definitely the only one taking Latin, and apparently the only one doing Drama.
I’m autistic and my executive functioning is awful. I’m incredibly disorganised but high-achieving at school: on a scholarship (otherwise I wouldn’t bloody go to the school lmao) and generally around the top of the year. However, that’s always been reliant on exams. Homework is not something I can really do. I forget to write it down or I forget to look in my planner and I have nowhere I can study at home. I can’t stay after school as it finishes at 4pm and I get home at 5:30, and I’m not allowed out later than that. I’ve never really been able to kick myself in the butt and do homework. I genuinely don’t think I know how.
So, considering I’ve always had friends who’d lend me answers if I haven’t done it, how should I start to organise myself? I’m thinking that slowly integrating it into Year 11 will help a little to work harder in Year 12. Any tips regarding planners/diaries, organisation, motivation, etc. are appreciated!

TL;DR: local autistic has no self-discipline or executive function and can’t do his own homework. Help?
Start off small, and try to build up the habit of writing things down and checking your planner. Even if it’s only for one or two subjects to start with, it’ll get you used to the process of using it regularly. Build it up from there.

Do you think a digital planner/calendar would suit you better? As long as you remember to put the item in there, you could set loads of reminders to either do the piece of homework, or even just to check your planner on a daily basis. Then all you have to do is follow the reminders!

It’s all about building it into a habit, which will of course take time
username4486536
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Start off small, and try to build up the habit of writing things down and checking your planner. Even if it’s only for one or two subjects to start with, it’ll get you used to the process of using it regularly. Build it up from there.

Do you think a digital planner/calendar would suit you better? As long as you remember to put the item in there, you could set loads of reminders to either do the piece of homework, or even just to check your planner on a daily basis. Then all you have to do is follow the reminders!

It’s all about building it into a habit, which will of course take time
I’ve been considering a digital method and have started a to-do list app, but the worst part is that I’m not allowed my phone out at all when I’m at school, and then I forget to add it later.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the planner thing sounds like a good idea:yes:
as said above, i think a gradual process of building an organisation system would be better. you could start perhaps by having a rough checklist of what you'd like to do each day so you have some sort of guideline. planner would be esp useful as you can see what you should be prioritising.
maybe try talking to teachers or head of year to see if they'd allow you to have your phone at the end of lessons for educational purposes? otherwise, nothing wrong with just carrying around a little notebook or something.
Bookanimal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! I know this is a little late but I wanted to see if I could help

It's great that you've realised you need to do something - that's the first step in improving organisation!

First of all I'd talk to your teachers and see if you can come up with a solution together, as you guys will have a better picture than us and may be able to set up a system for homework.

Regarding the planner, I can empathise with you as I have just joined sixth form from home education and have never really had homework before. These are the things I do to make sure I stay on track:
-write on your hand (obviously not great for long term things but good at reminding you. You can then copy it down in your planner.)
-take a picture of homework (maybe ask a teacher if you can use your phone for this purpose)
-set a phone alarm for when you are home (e.g. 5:30-6pm to check your planner and do homework)

As far as study spaces at home go I'm afraid I can't really help except to suggest you try talking to the people you live with.

For motivation visualising myself where I want to be always helped me to keep working. So in your case maybe think about yourself studying at Oxford, perhaps at the Ashmolean Museum, or perhaps further down the line.

Hope that helped and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.53%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (63)
30.58%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
12.14%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (17)
8.25%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.83%
I think it's an unfair expectation (54)
26.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.46%

Watched Threads