Driving back to cornwall Watch

jamiewright971
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Im planning on driving back to cornwall from loughborough on Sunday, I was going to leave PM around 6, however i think i want to be home by then, i was thinking of leaving around 6am, what is traffic usually like then? It will only be my 2nd time driving on motorway and this distance. The first was night time 7-12ish. Thanks. The route google maps is taking me is m42 going onto the m5 all the way to the a38 devon expressway. Then to a couple big roundabouts and dual carriageway back. Thanks
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
6am on a Sunday will be quiet on the roads. They'll busy up around 9am and stay medium-busy throughout the day until 5-6pm. They won't be nearly as busy as during the day in the week or rush hours. Once you get past Exeter the roads will be pretty chill regardless of time of day on a Sunday. It's only a four hour drive so if you leave around 6am you should have most of it done and be on the quieter roads in Devon/Cornwall by the time Sunday traffic starts building up.
jamiewright971
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nuffles)
6am on a Sunday will be quiet on the roads. They'll busy up around 9am and stay medium-busy throughout the day until 5-6pm. They won't be nearly as busy as during the day in the week or rush hours. Once you get past Exeter the roads will be pretty chill regardless of time of day on a Sunday. It's only a four hour drive so if you leave around 6am you should have most of it done and be on the quieter roads in Devon/Cornwall by the time Sunday traffic starts building up.
I managed it in 5.5 last sunday, but that was with 2 stops and a few road works on the m5 that dropped the speed limit. Maps is saying if i leave at 6 i will get to plymouth around 10.30, once im past saltash im pretty comfortable getting back regardless of how busy. Im thinking maybe half 5 leaving time just to defiantly miss most traffic. I cant imagine there being much around loughborough at that time of the morning, particularly on a sunday.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jamiewright971)
I managed it in 5.5 last sunday, but that was with 2 stops and a few road works on the m5 that dropped the speed limit. Maps is saying if i leave at 6 i will get to plymouth around 10.30, once im past saltash im pretty comfortable getting back regardless of how busy. Im thinking maybe half 5 leaving time just to defiantly miss most traffic. I cant imagine there being much around loughborough at that time of the morning, particularly on a sunday.
Make sure you do stop at least once. It's very windy so do check road problems before you set out.
jamiewright971
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Make sure you do stop at least once. It's very windy so do check road problems before you set out.
Yeah on the way up we stopped in exeter and bristol but this time probably just be exeter. My only concern is getting back over the tamar bridge before it gets too windy and they close it down to 1 lane which makes it a nightmare. I think ill go for around half 5, 6. Providing the roads are all 70 i should be down there before 10.
jamiewright971
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by jamiewright971)
Yeah on the way up we stopped in exeter and bristol but this time probably just be exeter. My only concern is getting back over the tamar bridge before it gets too windy and they close it down to 1 lane which makes it a nightmare. I think ill go for around half 5, 6. Providing the roads are all 70 i should be down there before 10.
I ended up leaving at 3.30 in the afternoon as we overslept a fair bit and wanted to say bye to family. Was not too bad of a drive, quite busy for the first hour or so but once the exit for london came it all seemed to quiet down then. The A38 was very quiet as was tamar bridge and carkeel roundabout etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (214)
60.11%
No (142)
39.89%

Watched Threads