Why won’t my parents give it a rest Watch

raspberry.x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My parents are constantly on at me. This morning I was sat in my room playing a game on my tablet and mother marches in and says why aren’t you looking for a job
And I’m like seriously it’s saturday morning I’m allowed a break. It’s constant - can u look for a job please??!
I have a job already! I work as a cleaner in school for 6 hours a week. pay is ok, real companies pay worse.
I tell them that and they keep on at me. I’ve applied for so many and not got anywhere. I know I need a job for the summer but there’s nothing suitable yet.
I’m beginning to lose it with job hunting and their constant yelling at me. She got me a job form from the range and there’s a box which says why do you want to work for the range? I DONT ****ING WANT TO WORK THERE
Why is it so hard and how can I make them stop going on at me. I do try and look for jobs. But I have a job and don’t have time for another.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by raspberry.x)
My parents are constantly on at me. This morning I was sat in my room playing a game on my tablet and mother marches in and says why aren’t you looking for a job
And I’m like seriously it’s saturday morning I’m allowed a break. It’s constant - can u look for a job please??!
I have a job already! I work as a cleaner in school for 6 hours a week. pay is ok, real companies pay worse.
I tell them that and they keep on at me. I’ve applied for so many and not got anywhere. I know I need a job for the summer but there’s nothing suitable yet.
I’m beginning to lose it with job hunting and their constant yelling at me. She got me a job form from the range and there’s a box which says why do you want to work for the range? I DONT ****ING WANT TO WORK THERE
Why is it so hard and how can I make them stop going on at me. I do try and look for jobs. But I have a job and don’t have time for another.
How old are you?
Maybe explain you dont't have time for another?
Find out why she is so insistent on you getting a job?
You will have more time in summer and now is the time to start looking and applying- apply to a few and show that you have
barror1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe try volunteering? It's for a good cause and really strong on CVs and stuff. You might not make as much/any money but it is an option!
Nevergoaway
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
How old are you?
Maybe explain you dont't have time for another?
Find out why she is so insistent on you getting a job?
You will have more time in summer and now is the time to start looking and applying- apply to a few and show that you have
(Original post by barror1)
Maybe try volunteering? It's for a good cause and really strong on CVs and stuff. You might not make as much/any money but it is an option!
Yes mommy!
Now help me with my problem. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5800344
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you doing anything other than the cleaning job? If so, I don't see how you don't have time to work another job.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Are you doing anything other than the cleaning job? If so, I don't see how you don't have time to work another job.
I agree.
Plenty of full time students work more than that at weekends.
I did 15 hours a week all the way through 6th form and college.

Why are you so against getting a job?
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Firstly are you at college or university?

If so what career do you eventually want?

It might be possible to get some work experience that is related to the career you want to do, even if it’s volunteering. I understand it’s important to have some free time between studying and working, but it’s good to have a more meaningful job to put on your CV even if it’s voluntary. At present I can’t see anything wrong with your cleaning job, at least it’s something.
Daigan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tell them if they don't stop badgering you, you'll kick those gobby bums out of your house. That'll learn 'em.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
both you and your parents are at fault.

You are at fault because you are lazy, undiciplined, and unable to manage adult life correctly

Your parents are at fault because they think that shouting at you will change this. Its you are sat in a car, and you cant drive... they are stood next to you saying "DRIVE! Why are you not driving!!". If someone is incapable of doing something, as your post suggests you are, then tough-love motivation is not very effective at all. First you need coaching and to be taught and to learn how to do something, and then if the problem is purely motivational rather than capabability-based, then you can try some tough-love.

The way out of this situation is:

1, your parents should offer you help and support to get your life back on track
2, you should take ALL of their help/support/advice without protest or issue, until your life is on track, and only then can you question the help they give you. If after a year their help gets you no where, then look for another source of help.
Chloee2020
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
One minute. 6 hours a week and you don't have time for another? Unless you're in University or College then i can't see how you don't have time for another.

You're parents are probably pushing because they don't see any progress. My parents want me to get a job and i've applied EVERYWHERE to try and get one. No luck. You have to apply for places where you don't even want to work to get you some extra money. You and I are both lucky that we haven't had to work for anything because it's been provided for us by our parents. Rather than critising them why not take some time and realise how much they probably work without us even realising?
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Since you've told us nothing whatsoever of your circumstances with respect to age, education and general prospects, expecting pertinent advice (much less moral support) from strangers on the internet regarding this predicament is frankly the attitude of an entitled cretin, and inclines me to sympathise with your parents almost by default.
chazwomaq
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
OP is 38 and living with elderly parents.
Durhamgirl96
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're a student, I completely understand not wanting to take on many hours. However, you could find retail work or other cleaning work on a weekend that might give you 8 hours a week. It still won't be much. Or, you could just go to your friends' houses and pretend you're at work?
RevisionWorld66
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ask yourself this question, are you a Baby Boomer? if not, then get up and get a job, hippie.
angelofessence
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
21st century millenial laziness at it's finest.They are doing you a massive favour right now! You might not realise at this moment in time but down the line you'll thank them. Oh so you want that dream job in a certain field? Guess what they'll want? REFERENCES! And plenty of them too, some of them won't just accept academic references alone, a lot of the time they want professional job related references. Yes a lot of the jobs going at the moment for your current situation will suck and yes their the ones at the bottom of the pile, but they pay, they give you a sharp wake up call, they keep you on your toes, they give you experience you can exaggerate and glamourize down the line and most importantly they serve as a cold stark reminder of what your life will be if you fail uni or college etc. Get off your behind, quit playing games and get another job. "Oh but I can't handle the stress." That isn't going to fly later on in life when you have to wipe your own backside and pay your own bills and keep a home for you to live in. Sorry to be harsh but the sooner the work ethic is drilled into you OP the better. Wish you all the best regardless.
RevisionWorld66
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by angelofessence)
21st century millenial laziness at it's finest.They are doing you a massive favour right now! You might not realise at this moment in time but down the line you'll thank them. Oh so you want that dream job in a certain field? Guess what they'll want? REFERENCES! And plenty of them too, some of them won't just accept academic references alone, a lot of the time they want professional job related references. Yes a lot of the jobs going at the moment for your current situation will suck and yes their the ones at the bottom of the pile, but they pay, they give you a sharp wake up call, they keep you on your toes, they give you experience you can exaggerate and glamourize down the line and most importantly they serve as a cold stark reminder of what your life will be if you fail uni or college etc. Get off your behind, quit playing games and get another job. "Oh but I can't handle the stress." That isn't going to fly later on in life when you have to wipe your own backside and pay your own bills and keep a home for you to live in. Sorry to be harsh but the sooner the work ethic is drilled into you OP the better. Wish you all the best regardless.
that's right granddad, these lazy millianals I don't know where they came from.

Now get back into your old ham and choke on the beef that's paid for by National Insurance, deadbeat.
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
judging by op's previous posts, she's currently on a gap year:holmes:
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
op how old are you?
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go and learn to milk cows or learn to operate machinery, such as heavy plant. Hard work but you will never be out of work and the pay can be very good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (11)
5.82%
No (178)
94.18%

Watched Threads