Mature Student Application Watch

DitsyLady
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,

I'm a newbie here and would really appreciate some advice. Please forgive me if all this seems a bit daft.

I graduated all the way back in 1992 and want to apply for a Masters Degree commencing in 2019. I have been to the University's post-graduate evening and have been told that the course is non-competitive but acceptance obviously depends on a personal statement . The lecturer I was speaking did not mention there being an issue with the fact that I graduated such a long time ago. There seems to be nothing on the university website to say I have to prove what my academic experiences have been over the last 5 years (the only requirement being listed is 2:1 which I have).

I am in full-time employment but over the years have done several short continuing education courses and a little voluntary work A lot of it connected to the course I want to do) when I have had time.

Graduating so long ago meant that I didn't receive any university transcripts. The university only hold the marks for my first year, which aren't the best - marks in my modules ranging from 54 to 64 (mainly in the 50's). My best work was in my 2nd and 3rd year where my marks have not been recorded.

In my first year at university I was living at home when my parents were breaking up. The whole thing was quite traumatic. This would likely have affected my marks but I also knew that I only needed a mark of 40 to pass in my first year and the marks would not count towards my degree so was not too concerned about my marks at the time ( I only told one lecturer about my family situation).

The trouble is that it has now come back to haunt me. As I have only my first year marks on my transcript and no other marks for the two years that really matter in terms of counting towards the final grade (only the modules taken are shown), it looks like I was a lazy lout.

I suppose my question is do you think that these first year marks will reflect badly on me as I ended up achieving a 2:1 anyway? The University require a 'good 2:1' which I was told I had at the time (but, alas, cannot prove this - only that I got a 2:1).

Do I include that I had personal issues at the time on my personal statement (it was 30 years ago!) or are these marks normal for the 1st year?

I really want to do this course now that my employer has relaxed my working hours allowing me to be able to study. I just think that because I graduated so long ago and my transcripts only show my first year marks that there may be a problem.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DitsyLady)
Hello,

I'm a newbie here and would really appreciate some advice. Please forgive me if all this seems a bit daft.

I graduated all the way back in 1992 and want to apply for a Masters Degree commencing in 2019. I have been to the University's post-graduate evening and have been told that the course is non-competitive but acceptance obviously depends on a personal statement . The lecturer I was speaking did not mention there being an issue with the fact that I graduated such a long time ago. There seems to be nothing on the university website to say I have to prove what my academic experiences have been over the last 5 years (the only requirement being listed is 2:1 which I have).

I am in full-time employment but over the years have done several short continuing education courses and a little voluntary work A lot of it connected to the course I want to do) when I have had time.

Graduating so long ago meant that I didn't receive any university transcripts. The university only hold the marks for my first year, which aren't the best - marks in my modules ranging from 54 to 64 (mainly in the 50's). My best work was in my 2nd and 3rd year where my marks have not been recorded.

In my first year at university I was living at home when my parents were breaking up. The whole thing was quite traumatic. This would likely have affected my marks but I also knew that I only needed a mark of 40 to pass in my first year and the marks would not count towards my degree so was not too concerned about my marks at the time ( I only told one lecturer about my family situation).

The trouble is that it has now come back to haunt me. As I have only my first year marks on my transcript and no other marks for the two years that really matter in terms of counting towards the final grade (only the modules taken are shown), it looks like I was a lazy lout.

I suppose my question is do you think that these first year marks will reflect badly on me as I ended up achieving a 2:1 anyway? The University require a 'good 2:1' which I was told I had at the time (but, alas, cannot prove this - only that I got a 2:1).

Do I include that I had personal issues at the time on my personal statement (it was 30 years ago!) or are these marks normal for the 1st year?

I really want to do this course now that my employer has relaxed my working hours allowing me to be able to study. I just think that because I graduated so long ago and my transcripts only show my first year marks that there may be a problem.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
I think you are overthinking. before you put in your application then contact and explain to the course organiser and see how they want you to ptoceed. Either it will be ok or it will not.

To back you up I would contact your old uni and get them to explain in detail they no longer have those records for second and third year so they would be unable to provide the transcripts. ive them the wording you want. If they are unwilling to do that then do a subject access request asking for your transcripts and their repli wull be they dont hold that information.
Its likely forst year results dont count to the degree either.

See how you get on and explore those avenues before you start to get worried. If the uni is lower down the food chain they are unlikely to care.
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for replying,

I am applying to the same uni where I did my BA. They have sent me a partial transcript explaining that they do not have all the information so that angle is covered. They have also refunded me. I am just worried that my first year marks were awful due to other pressures and whether I should tell the university or not.

I think your advice is very sound.
Thank you so much!
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
have been told that the course is non-competitive but acceptance obviously depends on a personal statement .
As 999tigger has said, you're overthinking it.

If it's "non-competitive" why do you think they require a "good 2:1". Have they asked for a transcript at all? And if they do simply remind them their own records are incomplete so you don't have one. You do have your degree certificate though?

PS. I'm moving this to the Postgraduate Applications forum
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello,

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Just apply. Given the timeframes, I doubt whether your undergraduate degree will have any impact at all upon your application. Good luck!
Lmort003
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Just apply. Given the timeframes, I doubt whether your undergraduate degree will have any impact at all upon your application. Good luck!
Go for it, they will love you. You bring so many skills to the course that someone straight off an undergrad course won’t have. Think about what you have learned over all those years of working. I finished my masters in 1992, and got a place on a PhD programme starting in September. The Masters uni can’t find my transcripts, but it wasn’t an issue. You are not like other candidates, apply and enjoy the course.
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
As 999tigger has said, you're over-thinking it

If it's "non-competitive" why do you think they require a "good 2:1". Have they asked for a transcript at all? And if they do simply remind them their own records are incomplete so you don't have one. You do have your degree certificate though?

PS. I'm moving this to the Postgraduate Applications forum
Thank you for your response. The university have sent me a transcript but it is not a comprehensive document as such so they gave me a refund.

The website lists one of the requirements as being a 'good' 2:1 for the course that I want to do. The transcript is also a listed requirement. I have set up an application account to apply directly to the uni and this also requires me to upload a copy of my transcript and my certificate (which I do have 😊).

I spoke to university enquiries today and they said the that the 'good' bit shouldn't be a problem. Now I just have to see how I can explain my 1st yr marks (in the 50s and and two modules scoring in the 60s). I do have a reason. It's not something I would want to put on a PS. It was so long ago anyway they may not even care. Lets hope. Fingers crossed! 😊

Thanks again for your response.
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Thank you. I will. I have nothing to lose! 😊
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for your response. The university have sent me a transcript but it is not a comprehensive document as such so they gave me a refund.

The website lists one of the requirements as being a 'good' 2:1 for the course that I want to do. The transcript is also a listed requirement. I have set up an application account to apply directly to the uni and this also requires me to upload a copy of my transcript and my certificate (which I do have 😊).

I spoke to university enquiries today and they said the that the 'good' bit shouldn't be a problem. Now I just have to see how I can explain my 1st yr marks (in the 50s and and two modules scoring in the 60s). I do have a reason. It's not something I would want to put on a PS. It was so long ago anyway they may not even care. Lets hope. Fingers crossed! 😊

You are overthinking. I probably wouldnt have sent that either and just said they dont keep data that related to your degree grade,.
You have also said its non competitive. They want your money. Stop putting yourself on the back foot and sell your skills with confidence.

nulli tertius {this was one of the ones I mentioned when we were talking about data retention}
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lmort003)
Go for it, they will love you. You bring so many skills to the course that someone straight off an undergrad course won’t have. Think about what you have learned over all those years of working. I finished my masters in 1992, and got a place on a PhD programme starting in September. The Masters uni can’t find my transcripts, but it wasn’t an issue. You are not like other candidates, apply and enjoy the course.
Thank you! That is reallty heart-warming! Congratulations! I just wish the uni couldn't find my first year results as well as the other two years! Ha, ha! 😊
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I don't think you should be submitting a very incomplete* transcript at all. *Through the university's fault not yours.

And you don't have to "justify" your first year marks. You graduated with a 2:1.

This is all somewhat ancient history academically. Your PS should be more about the course you are so looking forward to doing, not looking back at what you did many many years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
Thank you! That is reallty heart-warming! Congratulations! I just wish the uni couldn't find my first year results as well as the other two years! Ha, ha! 😊
(Original post by 999tigger)
You are overthinking. I probably wouldnt have sent that either and just said they dont keep data that related to your degree grade,.
You have also said its non competitive. They want your money. Stop putting yourself on the back foot and sell your skills with confidence.

nulli tertius {this was one of the ones I mentioned when we were talking about data retention}
Thank you. Although its non competitive I'm still really anxious about it. I can only try my best. Thank you for your kind words.
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
I don't think you should be submitting a very incomplete* transcript at all. *Through the university's fault not yours.

And you don't have to "justify" your first year marks. You graduated with a 2:1.

This is all somewhat ancient history academically. Your PS should be more about the course you are so looking forward to doing, not looking back at what you did many many years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are so right! When I spoke to enquiries they told me to submit my application including transcript and send a separate email to admissions regarding it being incomplete and not indicative of my abilities. This doesn't sound right to me. As you say its ancient history. Bring excited about a course I could potentially be on is what I should be writing about! Thank you very much! 😊
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are so right! When I spoke to enquiries they told me to submit my application including transcript and send a separate email to admissions regarding it being incomplete and not indicative of my abilities. This doesn't sound right to me. As you say its ancient history. Bring excited about a course I could potentially be on is what I should be writing about! Thank you very much! 😊
Yes! So write the PS about the new course. Don't send the transcript but do send a separate email explaining why.

Good luck!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
As I said I wouldnt submit. a partial transcript especially as it has no bearing on the degree grade.
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
Yes! So write the PS about the new course. Don't send the transcript but do send a separate email explaining why.

Good luck!
Thank you! Sounds like a great idea! I'm definitely over-thinking now but.......Should I exlain that I have it in my possession but I haven't sent it as it is incomplete? The records office at the uni told me that admissions could just get in touch with them if there were any problems (as I did my BA at the same uni where I am applying to do an MA). Therefore, they could get this info themselves and I would rather it come from me. At least I can explain the results rather than they just find the info themselves and think that I am witholding it.

I am only applying to the one uni as I like the sound of the course, it is in my home town and I will be studying part-time whilst working full- time, I just don't want to jeopardise any chance that I may have.
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
As I said I wouldnt submit. a partial transcript especially as it has no bearing on the degree grade.
Very true. It only has the year that is not relevant in terms of the grade I achieved. I'm just so out of touch with how unis work these days - that is why I am over-thinking everything. The sad thing is I was told that I narrowly missed out on a 1st and I cannot even show this.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 week ago
Very true. It only has the year that is not relevant in terms of the grade I achieved. I'm just so out of touch with how unis work these days - that is why I am over-thinking everything. The sad thing is I was told that I narrowly missed out on a 1st and I cannot even show this.
You are still fretting. You cna say it in your contact letter when you explain that they dont keep transcript details.
Its a non competive course, we keep saying stop fretting its a waste of energy. They take you or they dont.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you! Sounds like a great idea! I'm definitely over-thinking now but.......Should I exlain that I have it in my possession but I haven't sent it as it is incomplete? The records office at the uni told me that admissions could just get in touch with them if there were any problems (as I did my BA at the same uni where I am applying to do an MA). Therefore, they could get this info themselves and I would rather it come from me. At least I can explain the results rather than they just find the info themselves and think that I am witholding it.

I am only applying to the one uni as I like the sound of the course, it is in my home town and I will be studying part-time whilst working full- time, I just don't want to jeopardise any chance that I may have.
In your email I would say you requested it but the records office couldn't provide a complete transcript because they've lost the records (or whatever they actually told you). Direct to the records office if they want more info. I doubt they'll bother.

can you remember your overall marks for each year? if so mention those.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DitsyLady
Rep:
?
In your email I would say you requested it but the records office couldn't provide a complete transcript because they've lost the records (or whatever they actually told you). Direct to the records office if they want more info. I doubt they'll bother.

can you remember your overall marks for each year? if so mention those.
No, Unfortunately I can't. I think that is sound advice. I wil go with that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (237)
59.85%
No (159)
40.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise