3 years' residence in UK (doctoral loan) Watch

IrinaI
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,

I was looking into whether I would be eligible for a doctoral loan and one of the questions on the form is:

Will you have lived in the UK for 3 years or more immediately prior to 1 September 2019?

Why are we asking about this date? Don’t include periods of:

• any temporary accommodation you may have stayed in while living away from home

• halls of residence or temporary student accommodation

If I have spent 2/3 in a shared house (with other students) as a full-time student, and the last one in the same house, working and paying Council Tax (spoke to both Landlord and Council), do I answer yes or no?

The first year was the last year of my BA, and the second one was my MA year. Or is any time spent as a student considered 'temporary'? I was in England year-round, except for 1-2 weeks each year.

Thank you.

(*the UK in the title)
Last edited by IrinaI; 1 week ago
SFE Chanel
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by IrinaI)
Hello,

I was looking into whether I would be eligible for a doctoral loan and one of the questions on the form is:

Will you have lived in the UK for 3 years or more immediately prior to 1 September 2019?

Why are we asking about this date? Don’t include periods of:

• any temporary accommodation you may have stayed in while living away from home

• halls of residence or temporary student accommodation

If I have spent 2/3 in a shared house (with other students) as a full-time student, and the last one in the same house, working and paying Council Tax (spoke to both Landlord and Council), do I answer yes or no?

The first year was the last year of my BA, and the second one was my MA year. Or is any time spent as a student considered 'temporary'? I was in England year-round, except for 1-2 weeks each year.

Thank you.

(*the UK in the title)
Hi,

You would state yes if you have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the academic year of your course.

If you had no other home, i.e parents home, whilst living in the UK then you would put down the addresses you were living in for the last 3 years.

Thanks, Chanel
IrinaI
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by SFE Chanel)
Hi,

You would state yes if you have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the academic year of your course.

If you had no other home, i.e parents home, whilst living in the UK then you would put down the addresses you were living in for the last 3 years.

Thanks, Chanel
Hi Chanel,

Thanks for your answer.

My parents' home is outside of the UK, and I have only gone back for 1-2 weeks/year. I was also working here (self-employed, though also for my University, which also included a few shifts over the Summer).

Would I still answer yes, and , if not, would I still qualify for the loan?

Best wishes,
Irina
Lynsey SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi Chanel,

Thanks for your answer.

My parents' home is outside of the UK, and I have only gone back for 1-2 weeks/year. I was also working here (self-employed, though also for my University, which also included a few shifts over the Summer).

Would I still answer yes, and , if not, would I still qualify for the loan?

Best wishes,
Irina
Hello Irina,

Postgraduate Doctoral (PGD) loans are available to SFE students studying anywhere in the UK and EU students studying in England. However, there are two categories for EU national’s: English domiciled students who have 3 years prior address history in the UK and EU domiciled students who have spent part of the 3 years in the EU. They must also meet the following criteria:

• UK domiciled students must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course
• EU domiciled students must be an EU national on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of the course and attending or undertaking a designated course in England

Thanks, Lynsey.
IrinaI
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Lynsey SFE)
Hello Irina,

Postgraduate Doctoral (PGD) loans are available to SFE students studying anywhere in the UK and EU students studying in England. However, there are two categories for EU national’s: English domiciled students who have 3 years prior address history in the UK and EU domiciled students who have spent part of the 3 years in the EU. They must also meet the following criteria:

• UK domiciled students must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course
• EU domiciled students must be an EU national on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of the course and attending or undertaking a designated course in England

Thanks, Lynsey.
Hello Lynsey,

Thanks - I understand that by 'domicile' you mean where I lived/was ordinarily resident over the last 3 years, which would be England?

Thanks, Irina.
Erin SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hello Lynsey,

Thanks - I understand that by 'domicile' you mean where I lived/was ordinarily resident over the last 3 years, which would be England?

Thanks, Irina.
Hi Irina,

Yes this is correct.

Thanks, Erin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (63)
8.33%
I used to but I don't now (19)
2.51%