Can I get into uni with this?

Watch
OBaIMA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone

So I’m looking to apply for uni in 2020 to study computer science. I am a mature student (26) and have been out of education since 2011.

I was hoping to study an access to HE course 2019-20 but I live in quite a rural area and the only local courses I can find that are even remotely relevant are Applied Science and Forensic Science. No computer science option.

There is however a course (Certificate of HE) on Open University that is Computer & IT and Mathematics. I think this would put me in a better position to study an undergraduate degree in computer science but I’m unsure if any universities will accept this as my “only” qualification.

I have sent an email to the admissions team of most of the uni’s that I’m looking to attend, however, I was wondering if anyone has undertaken a certificate of HE course and what your experience was when applying to a brick university after completing any OU course?

I’m sure the access course is the best route but I would much rather be studying modules relevant to maths and computing than only a few interesting physics modules and maybe one module of computer science in the access course.
OBaIMA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anybody got any advice on certificates of HE at all?
CooperJen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really it’s only the admissions team at the universities you want to attend that can tell you what access course would award you a certificate that could get you into university. I’d just email a few with details of which access courses are available to you.
jburnside615
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OBaIMA)
Hi everyone

So I’m looking to apply for uni in 2020 to study computer science. I am a mature student (26) and have been out of education since 2011.

I was hoping to study an access to HE course 2019-20 but I live in quite a rural area and the only local courses I can find that are even remotely relevant are Applied Science and Forensic Science. No computer science option.

There is however a course (Certificate of HE) on Open University that is Computer & IT and Mathematics. I think this would put me in a better position to study an undergraduate degree in computer science but I’m unsure if any universities will accept this as my “only” qualification.

I have sent an email to the admissions team of most of the uni’s that I’m looking to attend, however, I was wondering if anyone has undertaken a certificate of HE course and what your experience was when applying to a brick university after completing any OU course?

I’m sure the access course is the best route but I would much rather be studying modules relevant to maths and computing than only a few interesting physics modules and maybe one module of computer science in the access course.
I have researched this for my father, who is completing the computing and IT OU course at the moment (though I think he has now decided to simply complete the degree with OU). Yes, the certificate of higher education can get you into university - though it depends on the unis individually. I know for example that Ulster University and Queens University Belfast both take OU certificate in lieu kf A-levels as long as you get distinction in a minimum of 2 modules (I think it was 2 for both but can't remember off top of my head). A lot of universities really respect the OU as entry, especially for mature students, so there will be many options for you. I know of a few people on my course at queens (I'm in my final year of software engineering) who came in as a mature student from OU so it is very much possible - just use you ou degree, your life experience and hobbies to sell your skills in personal statement. I know UU and QUB are NI so those specifically maybe won't be that relevant, but it's examples. Check for alternative entry requirements pages on university websites.
Last edited by jburnside615; 2 years ago
jburnside615
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jburnside615)
I have researched this for my father, who is completing the computing and IT OU course at the moment (though I think he has now decided to simply complete the degree with OU). Yes, the certificate of higher education can get you into university - though it depends on the unis individually. I know for example that Ulster University and Queens University Belfast both take OU certificate in lieu kf A-levels as long as you get distinction in a minimum of 2 modules (I think it was 2 for both but can't remember off top of my head). A lot of universities really respect the OU as entry, especially for mature students, so there will be many options for you. I know of a few people on my course at queens (I'm in my final year of software engineering) who came in as a mature student from OU so it is very much possible - just use you ou degree, your life experience and hobbies to sell your skills in personal statement. I know UU and QUB are NI so those specifically maybe won't be that relevant, but it's examples. Check for alternative entry requirements pages on university websites.
(a distinction in ou being 85%+)
jburnside615
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When looking for alternative entry, sometimes ou is in a separate section on it's own. Other times, it's just put under certificate of HE.

I actually looked at his study material out of interest, and it's excellent stuff - their introduction to programming is very well done and they cover other essential basics like IT technologies and databases.
Last edited by jburnside615; 2 years ago
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
CertHE is the Level 4 certificate that you'd earn if you completed the first year of a a regular degree and then didn't enter the second year, so by getting CertHE from the OU you're essentially completing the first year (120pts) of the OU degree. There's also "DipHE" (Diploma of HE) which is two years of a degree at Level 5.

I'm sure plenty of Universities would be quite happy to accept a CertHE being a Level 4 qualification, however most would probably want you to essentially repeat their Level 4 year again by starting in the first year of the degree.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying...qualifications
(At least those outside the "top 20" anyway - the higher-ranked universities tend to have very mathematical courses which are more academic/theoretical in nature, so the OU course probably wouldn't get you into those)

Some universities also offer an HND in Computer Science -- the entry requirements for these tend to be more relaxed than a degree (especially for a mature student) - if you achieve an HND distinction then a lot of universities would generally allow you to 'top up' with the final year of a degree.
Last edited by winterscoming; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads