I need advice ASAP (I am a first year medic) Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I need advice.

From year 8 onwards ( I am a first year medic now), I have just felt very abnormal. In exams, I couldn't write quickly (my pen would fall out of my hand) and it almost feels as if I am drawing shapes rather than writing.
Studying would be a pain (well apart from maths because you don't really have to memorise stuff for that - you just have to understand it and apply it). This is how I study (sorry I do some very strange things) - I usually speak aloud , probably hit myself to keep focused , end up scratching myself in the process, grind my teeth, get a migraine, scream/shout(you get the idea) - I have a very low attention span for memorising things (well apart from maths because it doesn't require memorising text).

A very important point - it almost feels like my brain is resisting me.. I am an enemy to myself - I always make things harder for myself and even if I try not to it doesn't work.

I remember than in secondary school.. (I am also quite athletic and do sprints) I was doing the 400m sprint and I just let someone beat me on purpose even though I could have easily won.

I am sure there is no one like me -

I don't understand what's wrong with me - my mum says I am just lazy and then tells me to go to see a doctor as I might have a brain tumour :/ Basically winds me up and I don't blame her because why does her only child have to have so many bloody problems?!

Very quick background info - in primary school, I couldn't really speak at all until I was in year 3, also had a lot of confidence issues and was in the lowest set you could possibly put someone in (ironic cause I am a medic now). Anyway, in secondary school, it got worse. I got bullied - it all started. (ok - I'll be honest .. I cheated for my french exam for a vocab test - I know stupid but I was probably 12 then and really regret that ..never cheated in anything since). Anyway, a group of people started ganging up on me after that- flicking bits of an eraser at me and flicking paper balls at me. Strange - because they cheated in exams several times and they just had to pick on me as a target. I am not sure why they picked on me to be honest. Anyway after that vicious cycle was over, I found myself with all these strange habits like not being able to write quickly and also i just couldn't memorise anything and yeah, letting myself down by allowing people to beat me in race or something like that - it got to the point that I even let myself do bad in exams on purpose.

I then moved to a grammar school for my A levels and also had to carry all these strange habits with me there so A levels were a pain (again, apart from maths).
It's painful for me because (I am not showing off) I am very clever but I have stupid problems that no one else has. Who cannot write quickly(basically the pen does not feel natural in my hand), has to put up with not being able to focus (despite wanting to revise!!!!) and who has tendency to make themselves lose at something?

I have looked at all these posts saying that if you are not willing to study (blah blah) then maybe medicine isn't for you etc.. The thing is I very much want to study - I sit myself down and try very hard but my brain ends up getting exhausted trying. There's a saying that once you get started, then you get into the mode of studying. It's not like that for me. If I study (so memorising medical school stuff) for 5 hours, that is the same thing as me fighting with myself for 5 hours. This is very frustrating because I really really want to study but have to put up a fight with myself doing this.

Now, one last thing, I have had this issue since year 8 -so I have survived so far but now I am in medical school and I cannot afford wasting time in things like these.

I really apologise for this rather depressing post. I really need advice on what to do, why I might be doing this to myself and how to discipline myself.
sashagrace.x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I need advice.

From year 8 onwards ( I am a first year medic now), I have just felt very abnormal. In exams, I couldn't write quickly (my pen would fall out of my hand) and it almost feels as if I am drawing shapes rather than writing.
Studying would be a pain (well apart from maths because you don't really have to memorise stuff for that - you just have to understand it and apply it). This is how I study (sorry I do some very strange things) - I usually speak aloud , probably hit myself to keep focused , end up scratching myself in the process, grind my teeth, get a migraine, scream/shout(you get the idea) - I have a very low attention span for memorising things (well apart from maths because it doesn't require memorising text).

A very important point - it almost feels like my brain is resisting me.. I am an enemy to myself - I always make things harder for myself and even if I try not to it doesn't work.

I remember than in secondary school.. (I am also quite athletic and do sprints) I was doing the 400m sprint and I just let someone beat me on purpose even though I could have easily won.

I don't understand what's wrong with me - my mum says I am just lazy and then tells me to go to see a doctor as I might have a brain tumour :/ Basically winds me up and I don't blame her because why does her only child have to have so many bloody problems?!

Very quick background info - in primary school, I couldn't really speak at all until I was in year 3, also had a lot of confidence issues and was in the lowest set you could possibly put someone in (ironic cause I am a medic now). Anyway, in secondary school, it got worse. I got bullied - it all started. (ok - I'll be honest .. I cheated for my french exam for a vocab test - I know stupid but I was probably 12 then and really regret that ..never cheated in anything since). Anyway, a group of people started ganging up on me after that- flicking bits of an eraser at me and flicking paper balls at me. Strange - because they cheated in exams several times and they just had to pick on me as a target. I am not sure why they picked on me to be honest. Anyway after that vicious cycle was over, I found myself with all these strange habits like not being able to write quickly and also i just couldn't memorise anything and yeah, letting myself down by allowing people to beat me in race or something like that - it got to the point that I even let myself do bad in exams on purpose.

I then moved to a grammar school for my A levels and also had to carry all these strange habits with me there so A levels were a pain (again, apart from maths).
It's painful for me because (I am not showing off) I am very clever but I have stupid problems that no one else has. Who cannot write quickly(basically the pen does not feel natural in my hand), has to put up with not being able to focus (despite wanting to revise!!!!) and who has tendency to make themselves lose at something?

I have looked at all these posts saying that if you are not willing to study (blah blah) then maybe medicine isn't for you etc.. The thing is I very much want to study - I sit myself down and try very hard but my brain ends up getting exhausted trying. There's a saying that once you get started, then you get into the mode of studying. It's not like that for me. If I study (so memorising medical school stuff) for 5 hours, that is the same thing as me fighting with myself for 5 hours. This is very frustrating because I really really want to study but have to put up a fight with myself doing this.

Now, one last thing, I have had this issue since year 8 -so I have survived so far but now I am in medical school and I cannot afford wasting time in things like these.

I really apologise for this rather depressing post. I really need advice on what to do, why I might be doing this to myself and how to discipline myself.
Im sorry for what happened, this sounds quite rare and serious, maybe instead of explaining this to students you should tell this to your local GP or Therapist, instead of a doctor(they may just waste your time), as a first year medic you should know you dont have brain tumor, unless you follow the symptoms, constent headaches, seizures, memory problems if you have these check a doctor quickly. Good luck with your future tho. You will make a brilliant doctor/medic.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I need advice.

It might be worth speaking to your uni about this - they should be able organise tests for learning disabilities like dyslexia, and also give you advice on study techniques. Counselling might also be something to consider?
Petetyerman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I would certainly seriously kidded consider full assessment for dyslexia and also considered when you have symptoms of ADHD or dyspraxia. No none of these affect your intelligence they can affect your ability to put it down on paper or displayed to others. Much of what you describe is only too familiar to me. I qualified as a doctor and only later was dyslexia diagnosed however once I'd seen the wais scores much of how I felt was explained as I have a well above average assessment but only average in working memory and in written tasks. The mismatch can produce many of this affects you are describing. The universities and NHS medical training now offers lots of support for those with dyslexia to it is well worth this finding out this is in fact the issue
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (36)
12.59%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.19%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.15%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.15%
No (200)
69.93%

Watched Threads