What are your thoughts of New Built Homes

Watch this thread
Vince56
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Homes built by talyor Wimpey and Barrat homes etc what are your thoughts on these new homes, are they any good for first time buyers as they are cheper to get since they are all fully furnished and all fixtures and fittings are all done for you. I assume the mortgage would be cheaper as well
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vince56)
Homes built by talyor Wimpey and Barrat homes etc what are your thoughts on these new homes, are they any good for first time buyers as they are cheper to get since they are all fully furnished and all fixtures and fittings are all done for you. I assume the mortgage would be cheaper as well
we decided against it for our first house, as the new builds are on the smaller side and we felt we were paying more to have a new house, so we bought a 1980s and have nearly redone all the room to have it exactly as we want and got it in an area less far out from the city centre. They don't come fully furnished in most case, just all the appliances in the kitchen. Also unless you go through help to buy schemes they aren't necessarily cheaper on mortgages but they are the right option for some first time buyers, just not what we wanted.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I'm not a fan of new builds and would never buy one.
They do usually come with freebies or cashback incentives but are often poor value for money.

I doubt the mortgages are cheaper; the house builders may have a policy of not charging buyers admin fees and making free introductions to flexible brokers and mortgage providers with access to mortgage offers with high approval rates.
Offplan sale prior to the completion of building work or an existing property swap instead of a cash deposit, can sometimes discount the total purchasing price/ reduce the amount of cash required from buyers upfront.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do your research about the houses and companies you are interested in (have you looked online about reviews?). Although not the same companies you are looking for, there have been quite a few stories in the news about poor workmanship, bad afterservice and generally negative quality of the house itself for new builds.
Vince56
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
seems to be alright for two lesbian teachers who live in musselbrough as it fits their life style

but are new built home better or cheaper to afford than say going into aftermarket to buy home etc
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not as good as the old builds
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
in my area new-built is either:

A, for young families.... which means: small garden, no parking, cram as many houses as you can whilst making them nice to lure people in who want a posher looking house, that is actually a lot smaller then the older alternative

B, for older middle-tier buyers.... nice, but a bit generic, great for someone who doesn't want to have the hassle of fixing/decorating/renovating etc.

C, for rich people.... love-or-hate. I am not a fan of a lot of modern minimalist/scandinavian design etc. But some of the newer oak-framed country type homes.. are wonderful.
modifiedgenes
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Buy a house that is cheap to run and means you can have affordable mortgage repayments. You can always sell and move again later on.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It all depends on what you're looking for. Yeah some are small but my dad has recently bought one and it's really spacious, decent sized garden, and a double drive - in a 2 bed home. But I have a couple of friends who've bought them and paid a ridiculous price for a small amount of space. Each to their own. It's good to know you won't have to decorate or renovate, and that it won't need a new roof or rewiring or anything for a while. Older properties of a similar price will probably cost you money sooner with one thing or another. Also, when my dad got his, he got to choose a kitchen, bathroom, tiles, flooring, things about the garden - because he signed for the plot before the house was built. If you just get one that's already been built I do think it would be a bit generic, but then there's plenty of ways you can make it yours once you move in.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vince56)
Typically tight on space, e.g. room sizes (watch out for small furniture in show homes), garden, house spacing, garages that cannot fit a car etc. Locations can be not so good. Lots of horror stories on defects - new does not mean that it's well built. Whilst you may get a guarantee, you still should get a full structural survey (not a joke "home buyer's").

Are they really fully furnished?

Older houses tend to offer more space for your money, inside and out. That gives you options for extensions that new houses almost never do. You also risk paying a premium for new fixtures and fittings, so will be hit with more depreciation.

Then there's the whole lease scandal ..
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (276)
42.07%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.15%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
7.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise