The Student Room Group

Is 18k a good salary for a first job

Is 18k a good salary for a first job ?
Reply 1
Original post by Mapleservers
Is 18k a good salary for a first job ?

It depends. Are you 16, 18, a new graduate or just finished a phd? What training and career progression comes with the role?
As said above. It depends. 18k as a financial consultant full time, not really. 18k as a part time McDonald’s employee working weekends only, it’s ok to say the least. 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Scienceisgood
As said above. It depends. 18k as a financial consultant full time, not really. 18k as a pet time McDonald’s employee working weekends only, it’s ok.

Alternatively - £18k as a trainee financial consultant on an apprenticeship linked to a fully funded degree from a decent university could be a great offer.
Reply 4
It depends on the job. What is it your doing?

I can assure you that no McDonald's employee working weekends only earns 18k or anywhere near it. Someone who works full time on minimum wage earns around 16k a year.
Reply 5
Original post by Scienceisgood
As said above. It depends. 18k as a financial consultant full time, not really. 18k as a pet time McDonald’s employee working weekends only, it’s ok.

Wow.
What is the job?
It is if you don't have any better offers.

I have seen one recruitment agency regularly advertise £18k entry level jobs for engineering graduates with an MEng. Contrast that with factory jobs (semi-skilled manual work + shift work) where you can "walk in off the street" after high school, starting at £21k for full time- typically nearer £27k for those that do the overtime. Downside is only potential for about 5% a year pay rise from there, limited prospects for promotion.
Really depends what is your job. But most student after graduation from my cousins, uni friends start off on around £18-22k. Of course other fields can pay more.
I took 18k as a first job after my master's in September 2015, promoted to 23.5k in 2016, new job on 31k in 2017 and a promotion to 40k in December 2018. You just have to hustle, 18k is fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Whats the job?
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
I took 18k as a first job after my master's in September 2015, promoted to 23.5k in 2016, new job on 31k in 2017 and a promotion to 40k in December 2018. You just have to hustle, 18k is fine.

What do you do?
Original post by mattymoo432
What do you do?

Worked in a charity then moved to the civil service
Original post by -=|Jay|=-

My daughter had a very similar experience (working in marketing after a Masters). Her first job was 18k which seemed on the low side but she had little direct marketing work experience. That job led to a better job and now she is on over 40k...just 3 years later.

Graduates need to stop worrying too much about their first jobs being poorly paid, or even barely paid in the case of internships. The main thing is to get decent work experience, and the better paid roles will follow.
Reply 14
Original post by harrysbar
My daughter had a very similar experience (working in marketing after a Masters). Her first job was 18k which seemed on the low side but she had little direct marketing work experience. That job led to a better job and now she is on over 40k...just 3 years later.

Graduates need to stop worrying too much about their first jobs being poorly paid, or even barely paid in the case of internships. The main thing is to get decent work experience, and the better paid roles will follow.

Out of curiosity, were though roles both London based, or where?
Original post by Quady
Out of curiosity, were though roles both London based, or where?

Both the first two roles were in the South but not London ...the last one is in Central London
Reply 16
Original post by harrysbar
Both the first two roles were in the South but not London ...the last one is in Central London

Ta.
Original post by Quady
Ta.

That's ok - admittedly she did get a big increase in salary with the latest job - probably partly because it's in Central London so living costs are higher etc
Depends where you live. Not a bad first wage up North...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending