Changing course after recieving offer

Watch
Baobab174
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

I've recieved an offer from Glasgow to study MA Economics/History but recently I've come to realise that I would prefer to study MA Archaeology/History. Is this possible? Who should I contact with?

I'm also aware that at the start of the yeaqr you choose 3 courses, but I would like to have a guaranteed place in Archaeology and then choose Economics as my third subject.
ALostWanderer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Baobab174)
Hi!

I've recieved an offer from Glasgow to study MA Economics/History but recently I've come to realise that I would prefer to study MA Archaeology/History. Is this possible? Who should I contact with?

I'm also aware that at the start of the yeaqr you choose 3 courses, but I would like to have a guaranteed place in Archaeology and then choose Economics as my third subject.
Hi!
I made pretty much the same mistake when I applied to Aberdeen...
I'm not sure you can change it now, unless there was a problem that prevented you from applying directly for archaeology/history (e.g. something wrong with the ucas code). However, you could email them explaining your situation and asking how likely is it that you will be able to pick archaeology as your third subject. Just make clear that you don't want to lose the opportunity you already have, or something like that.
I might be wrong, but I think that archaeology/history is a rather common combination, so there shouldn't be too many problems with the timetable. You would be very unlucky if the timetable for archaeology was the same as the one for economics...
You could also ask some current students, maybe you'd get some insight on the flexible degree structure and on how well it worked for them, if that can reassure you.
Anyways, it's better if you can get a piece of advice from someone who has already had the same experience, or a similar one. I'm no expert, but since I am reflecting on the same problem, I thought I could share my views.
Good luck!

(Sorry for any mistakes, I'm not a native speaker)
katxlaura
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In the first week you have a meeting with an advisor and they help you pick your 3 subjects, I ended up switching my degree at this meeting! Not sure how you’d change this early, but that’s how I changed!
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Now that you've applied and got the offer I don't think there's really a whole lot you can do until you actually get to the uni. The offer as it stands was given on the basis of you applying for economics, after all.

That said, once you're there the uni is generally incredibly flexible. So long as you know exactly what changes you want to make, you should be able to do the switch with little issue. It's not like the archaeology course of all things is going to fill up. When you're picking/have picked your courses, you can speak to your advisor to see about changing your overall degree.

There is a chance that the three subjects you want to do might have a timetable clash. As history and archaeology is a somewhat common combination, I'd prepare yourself for the slight possibility that you may not be able to do economics as a third subject.
scottishst25
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was in a similar situation just a week ago. I received an unconditional offer that I was going to accept but I wanted to change my course to a joint honours before doing so. I emailed the admissions team for my course and they changed it super easily, just asked for my ucas ID number and next thing it was changed. Just let them know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (23)
27.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
9.64%
No I am happy with my choice (47)
56.63%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
6.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise