Is Edexcel really the hardest syllabus at A Level maths? 2019 linear option

Watch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Specifically I’d like to compare the new linear syllabus’ of AQA vs Edexcel. I understand the questions are structured differently, but ultimately isn’t the same material covered? How can one exam board be “harder” than the other? As many people often say Edexcel is harder than AQA. Plus, the grade boundaries must level out the points in the end.

In your opinion do you think that someone is able to achieve a higher grade if they take X syllabus?

Thanks
computer_noob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by avatar6688)
Specifically I’d like to compare the new linear syllabus’ of AQA vs Edexcel. I understand the questions are structured differently, but ultimately isn’t the same material covered? How can one exam board be “harder” than the other? As many people often say Edexcel is harder than AQA. Plus, the grade boundaries must level out the points in the end.

In your opinion do you think that someone is able to achieve a higher grade if they take X syllabus?

Thanks
yep **** edexcel. 6 month old thread idec **** pearson **** edexcel
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not for maths, because the specification is literally the same for every exam board offering linear A-level maths.
Grade boundaries this year for Edexcel were very low
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 year ago
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks
The same material is covered, but edexcel seemed to have set harder questions on that material.

But yeah, you're absolutely correct in saying that grade boundaries will level out points, so no exam board is objectively harder.

Although, sometimes this can favour certain types of students. A difficult paper with low boundaries means that intelligent students are not penalised as much for making silly mistakes, and I believe that this style more accurately reflects ability. On the other hand, an easy paper with sky high boundaries can disadvantage careless but intelligent students, as losing a few marks due to silly mistakes has more weighting on easy papers. However, easy papers are more accessible to less abled students meaning they may do slightly better than before.

tl;dr- no exam board is objectively harder, although each may favour different types of students. So it is possible to achieve a higher grade by sitting a different exam board, but this is not due to any inherent difficulty (merely one exam board's question styles being more suited to certain types of student)
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Not for maths, because the specification is literally the same for every exam board offering linear A-level maths.
Grade boundaries this year for Edexcel were very low
There are a few minor differences e.g. AQA doesn’t include statics/moments problems in mechanics which students often find the hardest topic. So just because of this I’d say AQA was the “easiest” spec. Grade boundaries probably make this irrelevant though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (40)
18.02%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13.06%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.25%

Watched Threads