The Student Room Group

Is Edexcel really the hardest syllabus at A Level maths? 2019 linear option

I’d like to compare the new linear syllabus’ of AQA vs Edexcel. I understand the questions are structured differently, but ultimately isn’t the same material covered? How can one exam board be “harder” than the other? As many people often say Edexcel is harder than AQA. Plus, the grade boundaries must level out the points in the end.

In your opinion, do you think that someone is able to achieve a higher grade if they take X syllabus?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by avatar6688
In your opinion, do you think that someone is able to achieve a higher grade if they take X syllabus?

Thanks

Yes but that’s only because some students perform better against their peers when they have an easier exam while others perform better when the exam is harder. An easier exam definitely does not guarantee that you’ll get a better grade.

At this early stage (1 set of official exams) it’s hard to judge which exam board has the hardest exams.
Reply 2
True, that’s probably the toughest board to sit exams with. I didn’t list it as it’s not an option for me to take. I believe Edexcel are most widely used here in the U.K. for a level maths. Correct me if I’m wrong
Reply 3
I suppose any exam is relatively easy if you’re smart and diligent
The AQA 2018 exams were pretty awful compared to the specimen papers for both AQA and Edexcel. Not sure about Edexcel though, but their papers had similar grade boundaries. For me, Edexcel is easier since there’s no multiple choice and the difficulty curve is shallower.
Original post by avatar6688
I’d like to compare the new linear syllabus’ of AQA vs Edexcel. I understand the questions are structured differently, but ultimately isn’t the same material covered? How can one exam board be “harder” than the other? As many people often say Edexcel is harder than AQA. Plus, the grade boundaries must level out the points in the end.

Thanks

That's strange, usually people tell me Edexcel is far easier than AQA maths. I'm doing AQA now and most of my friends do Edexcel. I'm not sure about the exam boards having the "same material" as there are a few differences - I can't think of them off the top of my head though.

I think it's just a matter of personal strengths. The question styles may alienate some people or alternatively seem really simple. I don't think someone will necessarily receive a higher grade because of their exam board but it will be easier to achieve that grade.

EDIT: I'm talking about A-level maths but for GCSE I was told I'd be doing AQA all the way until year 11 when we switched to Edexcel. I found edexcel easier despite having the same content. I think the wording of edexcel questions were generally simpler. But I still think that as long as you work for it you'll be able to achieve a higher grade regardless of exam board.
(edited 5 years ago)
Firstly, the A-Level specs for all of the exam boards hardly differ from each other.

Secondly, most students following Edexcel have told me that they consider MEI to have been the hardest exam papers; but most of the MEI students have said Edexcel papers have proved to be the most difficult.

Thirdly, I'm really not sure how you might objectively determine that a particular tricky A-Level question is more difficult than another one.

Finally, my own measure of the difficulty of a paper is in terms of how long it takes to complete. eg how many minutes needed per mark available. (or marks per minute, of course!). And then compare to Paper spec average marks per min.
In that way, all of the exam boards have remarkably increased their difficulty over the last 4 years. 18 of my top 20 tricky A-Level questions (pure) have come from the last 3 years, with a fairly even mix of exam boards.
Reply 7
Original post by begbie68
Firstly, the A-Level specs for all of the exam boards hardly differ from each other.

Secondly, most students following Edexcel have told me that they consider MEI to have been the hardest exam papers; but most of the MEI students have said Edexcel papers have proved to be the most difficult.

Thirdly, I'm really not sure how you might objectively determine that a particular tricky A-Level question is more difficult than another one.

Finally, my own measure of the difficulty of a paper is in terms of how long it takes to complete. eg how many minutes needed per mark available. (or marks per minute, of course!). And then compare to Paper spec average marks per min.
In that way, all of the exam boards have remarkably increased their difficulty over the last 4 years. 18 of my top 20 tricky A-Level questions (pure) have come from the last 3 years, with a fairly even mix of exam boards.

Apart from the large data sets, are there any differences between the specs? Is there a list somewhere of all the minor differences?
Original post by Notnek
Apart from the large data sets, are there any differences between the specs? Is there a list somewhere of all the minor differences?

Edexcel have linear interpolation but AQA don't is the only one that comes to mind.

Quick Reply

Latest