jmu2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Help!
My granddaughter has been accepted to study Adult Nursing at JMU. We assumed that she would be given a Tuition Fee Loan, to be re-payable when she was in work earning over a certain threshold. However we have been told that she will not get this loan and we will have to pay the course fees ourselves. My grand daughter is from a single parent family and there is no way that they can afford this sort of money.

My other grand daughter who got her Degree at JMU a couple of years ago was given this loan without any problem. Incidentally we are located in Wales.

Anyone any idea why this loan should be refused? She has been allocated £8100, nothing else. The paperwork we got from Student Finance Wales refers to this as a Learning Grant. I must admit I find their paperwork really impossible to understand...
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jmu2019)
Help!
My granddaughter has been accepted to study Adult Nursing at JMU. We assumed that she would be given a Tuition Fee Loan, to be re-payable when she was in work earning over a certain threshold. However we have been told that she will not get this loan and we will have to pay the course fees ourselves. My grand daughter is from a single parent family and there is no way that they can afford this sort of money.

My other grand daughter who got her Degree at JMU a couple of years ago was given this loan without any problem. Incidentally we are located in Wales.

Anyone any idea why this loan should be refused? She has been allocated £8100, nothing else. The paperwork we got from Student Finance Wales refers to this as a Learning Grant. I must admit I find their paperwork really impossible to understand...
Call them up and ask them to explain the exact grounds for rejection, has your granddaughter ever not lived in the uk?
jmu2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
claireestelle - thanks for your reply.I tried to call them this morning but apparently the office is closed till Monday... The Student Finance Breakdown Form says "Tuition Loan Fee Requested - £0.00". Can't understand where they got that from.

Yes, my grand daughter has always lived in the UK.

Thanks again.
Last edited by jmu2019; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (131)
14.69%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.04%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.32%

Watched Threads