How does the new A level maths compare with the old spec? Watch

Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I am currently in 2nd year of A levels and I have been doing some old spec edexcel papers. They seem ok (I usually only drop a couple of marks), but I was wondering how the difficulty would compare to the new spec. I can't seem to find any new spec a level edexcel maths papers. I understand that in terms of content it's different, but in regards to difficulty and the ways in which the questions are asked, how does it differ? my teacher hasn't really gone through any of this stuff. I am aiming for an A*. Many thanks
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
Hello, I am currently in 2nd year of A levels and I have been doing some old spec edexcel papers. They seem ok (I usually only drop a couple of marks), but I was wondering how the difficulty would compare to the new spec. I can't seem to find any new spec a level edexcel maths papers. I understand that in terms of content it's different, but in regards to difficulty and the ways in which the questions are asked, how does it differ? my teacher hasn't really gone through any of this stuff. I am aiming for an A*. Many thanks
It’s important that you try new spec papers since they’re harder and there are a lot more problem solving / modelling questions. Also the modular S1/S2 aren’t good preparing at all for new spec statistics. If you’re doing old Edexcel papers then I recommend doing IAL papers because they’re harder.

This article may help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...maths-new-spec
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
It’s important that you try new spec papers since they’re harder and there are a lot more problem solving / modelling questions. Also the modular S1/S2 aren’t good preparing at all for new spec statistics. If you’re doing old Edexcel papers then I recommend doing IAL papers because they’re harder.

This article may help:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...maths-new-spec
Thank you for the reply, it has been really useful. In regards to mechanics, do you think the old spec papers can still be used to revise?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for the reply, it has been really useful. In regards to mechanics, do you think the old spec papers can still be used to revise?
Yes, definitely. New spec mechanics questions seem pretty similar to old spec M1/2 questions so modular papers are an excellent revision resource. Instead of doing whole papers though, pick out questions per topic e.g. moments in M1 or projectiles in M2 (for Edexcel).
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
Yes, definitely. New spec mechanics questions seem pretty similar to old spec M1/2 questions so modular papers are an excellent revision resource. Instead of doing whole papers though, pick out questions per topic e.g. moments in M1 or projectiles in M2 (for Edexcel).
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know which current mechanics topics are in which old spec papers (e.g. m1 or m2)? Would you say the majority are in m1? Many thanks
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know which current mechanics topics are in which old spec papers (e.g. m1 or m2)? Would you say the majority are in m1? Many thanks
From the article I posted above:

"Edexcel have Modular to Linear and Linear to Modular mapping documents which provide a more in-depth summary. Be aware that the modular specs were not the same across exam boards so these documents only apply to Edexcel."
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The 2018 new spec papers for edexcel were so much harder than any of the modular old spec papers. Make sure you get your hands on them before you sit your real exams. So many questions revolve a lot around problem solving unfortunately
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?