This discussion is closed.
Talhawaseem02
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
^^^^^^ I’m currently working at grade 8s and 9a for everything except physics and English (6s - arghhh). Would this be high enough for medicine for a good uni?(Russel group/oxbridge)
Tayabah_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
8s and 9s is good, but get your English up to an 8 at least. Oxbridge is very competitive for GCSE grades. try and aim for mostly 8s and 9s, so you have a strong application, but for unis other than Oxbridge, they'll accept with a 6 in English (at the moment-could change) aim for a minimum of all 7s imo. medicine is veryyyyy competitive
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Talhawaseem02)
^^^^^^ I’m currently working at grade 8s and 9a for everything except physics and English (6s - arghhh). Would this be high enough for medicine for a good uni?(Russel group/oxbridge)
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/

I can only see one medical school in the above which absolutely requires better than 6 in English Language, but several use it as part of an overall scoring process. Squeezing out a higher grade would certainly help.
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ideally, all 8s and 9s.
Talhawaseem02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tayabah_)8s and 9s is good, but get your English up to an 8 at least. Oxbridge is very competitive for GCSE grades. try and aim for mostly 8s and 9s, so you have a strong application, but for unis other than Oxbridge, they'll accept with a 6 in English (at the moment-could change) aim for a minimum of all 7s imo. medicine is veryyyyy competitive

Thankss ..... I’m working towards a 7in English but it just is so inconsistent because of my teacher and stuff. It was v helpful thanks!
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi, i've moved this to medicine for you
high gcse grades are obviously ideal but a 6 in english does meet the requirements for medicine i believe. worth doing your research.
you also need to think about work experience and other ways you can show your interest in it etc.

english you can improve by doing lots of essay practice and focused revision
Splishsplash
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Different medical schools focus on different things (eg GCSEs, UKCAT / BMAT) although in general your typical applicant will be in the top 5% of their school academically. Just because you meet the minimum requirement doesn’t mean you will be selected. So the advice above of aiming for higher than 6 is sound. But if you don’t get great grades don’t panic, smash the aptitude tests and you will be in with a shout of an interview. Good luck.
Conniestitution
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You want ideally 8s or 9s in Sciences but they aren't essential essential? 7s would probably do the job. Bio and Chem are most important.
English Language always made me struggle, I'll send you a PM full of tips to help you get higher grades in Lang
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
...medicine for a good uni?(Russel group/oxbridge)
(Original post by Tayabah_)
Please read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf. Just because it is Oxbridge doesn't automatically mean that things are much tougher.

OP there are no "good" or "bad" medical schools in the UK. I can't believe no one has corrected this yet.

Are you really going to not consider Keele / Brighton Sussex / Dundee / Leicester / Aberdeen / St Andrews etc just because they are not Russell Group?!

No patients will ask you where you graduated from, and for specialty training purposes as long as you have a qualification you'll be on equal footing to everyone. There's no disadvantage to have graduated from Anglia Ruskin, and no advantage to have graduated from Oxford.

If you read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...etition-ratios, Brighton Sussex (both non-RG) has nearly 3 times higher competition ratio than Cambridge.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
6’s and 7’s are good enough for medicine.
Talhawaseem02
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Please read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf. Just because it is Oxbridge doesn't automatically mean that things are much tougher.

OP there are no "good" or "bad" medical schools in the UK. I can't believe no one has corrected this yet.

Are you really going to not consider Keele / Brighton Sussex / Dundee / Leicester / Aberdeen / St Andrews etc just because they are not Russell Group?!

No patients will ask you where you graduated from, and for specialty training purposes as long as you have a qualification you'll be on equal footing to everyone. There's no disadvantage to have graduated from Anglia Ruskin, and no advantage to have graduated from Oxford.

If you read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...etition-ratios, Brighton Sussex (both non-RG) has nearly 3 times higher competition ratio than Cambridge.
hiii -
thanks for the advice - I think I want to go to a rg uni cuz our school talks about It so much , I think that's why I want to go there
Tayabah_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tayabah_)8s and 9s is good, but get your English up to an 8 at least. Oxbridge is very competitive for GCSE grades. try and aim for mostly 8s and 9s, so you have a strong application, but for unis other than Oxbridge, they'll accept with a 6 in English (at the moment-could change) aim for a minimum of all 7s imo. medicine is veryyyyy competitive

Thankss ..... I’m working towards a 7in English but it just is so inconsistent because of my teacher and stuff. It was v helpful thanks!
good luck and feel free to ask, if u need any help 😊
x.emilye
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yeah you need to do as well as possible - medicine is very competitive, especially at Oxbridge
I got 11 9s in my GCSEs on top of 2 additional qualifications, check out my article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/rev...stay-motivated
Hope this helps & I wish you all the best
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.74%
No, but I have thought about it (53)
27.32%
No (93)
47.94%

Watched Threads