Ear infection/blocked ear/hearing loss Watch

Lucyann19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For about a week I have been quite unwell. I started off with just a blocked nose, which then later lead on to a sore throat and a chesty cough. A couple days later my left ear become bad. After, this I developed conjunctivitis in my left eye. My ear started off with a sudden ache, and I could feel fluid moving around everytime I moved, however my ear wasn’t sticky, it felt as though the fluid was behind my ear drum. After 2 nights the pain became quite bad and I felt a lot of pressure in my ear. Suddenly I felt a weird sharp pain and felt fluid in my ear which I hadn’t felt for the past two days. I then went to the doctors Monday, as I hadn’t been able to the past previous days when my ear felt bad as it was the weekend. The nurse looked and said that she could only see ear wax. And recommend I used olive oil drops. I already knew I had wax in my ears. However I felt like she wasn’t listening to me when I was trying to explain how my ear felt. I believe I have a middle ear infection, and the pressure of the fluid behind my ear may have ruptured slightly allowing some fluid to pass through. I felt fluid in my ear when this happened and I hadn’t felt this previously. Since then, I haven’t felt as much pressure on my ear but I can barely hear anything out my left ear still and it just seems to be getting worse. I find it hard to believe it’s just wax. I know that conjunctivitis often follows through with ear infections, and the eye which was affected was on the same side as my bad ear? I had also had quite a bad cold and chest along with this so I feel maybe it spread. I know you aren’t doctors, but I’m just wondering if anybody can recommend anything or know what this might be? Do you think I’m right? The doctors I went to was a walk in centre, I’ve rang my gp surgery on several occasions and they have told me they are full to the capacity, even though I’ve rang first thing in the morning. I asked if I could book and appointment for a later date so my ear could atleast be checked out and they said they don’t do that for things that you have got like eat infections or tonsillitis, you have to get an appointment in the day. But what use is that when you ring and can’t even get in? They told me to go the pharmacy and by antibiotics for and ear, but I don’t want to do this incase it’s not an ear infection? I’m just concerned that this could spread of cause long lasting damage to my hearing
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Apachecow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fill your lungs with air, close your mouth and pinch your nose. Attempt to breath out - so your cheeks bellow with air. This will force the eustacian tube open (or should help). You might have to do this a few times or maintain the pressure for a few seconds. I sometimes get fluid in my middle ear after a cold and doing this for a few days generally clears it.
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lucyann19)
For about a week I have been quite unwell. I started off with just a blocked nose, which then later lead on to a sore throat and a chesty cough. A couple days later my left ear become bad. After, this I developed conjunctivitis in my left eye. My ear started off with a sudden ache, and I could feel fluid moving around everytime I moved, however my ear wasn’t sticky, it felt as though the fluid was behind my ear drum. After 2 nights the pain became quite bad and I felt a lot of pressure in my ear. Suddenly I felt a weird sharp pain and felt fluid in my ear which I hadn’t felt for the past two days. I then went to the doctors Monday, as I hadn’t been able to the past previous days when my ear felt bad as it was the weekend. The nurse looked and said that she could only see ear wax. And recommend I used olive oil drops. I already knew I had wax in my ears. However I felt like she wasn’t listening to me when I was trying to explain how my ear felt. I believe I have a middle ear infection, and the pressure of the fluid behind my ear may have ruptured slightly allowing some fluid to pass through. I felt fluid in my ear when this happened and I hadn’t felt this previously. Since then, I haven’t felt as much pressure on my ear but I can barely hear anything out my left ear still and it just seems to be getting worse. I find it hard to believe it’s just wax. I know that conjunctivitis often follows through with ear infections, and the eye which was affected was on the same side as my bad ear? I had also had quite a bad cold and chest along with this so I feel maybe it spread. I know you aren’t doctors, but I’m just wondering if anybody can recommend anything or know what this might be? Do you think I’m right? The doctors I went to was a walk in centre, I’ve rang my gp surgery on several occasions and they have told me they are full to the capacity, even though I’ve rang first thing in the morning. I asked if I could book and appointment for a later date so my ear could atleast be checked out and they said they don’t do that for things that you have got like eat infections or tonsillitis, you have to get an appointment in the day. But what use is that when you ring and can’t even get in? They told me to go the pharmacy and by antibiotics for and ear, but I don’t want to do this incase it’s not an ear infection? I’m just concerned that this could spread of cause long lasting damage to my hearing
So it sounds like a doctor (from a walk in) has had a look at your ears and said they are full of wax? That's pretty common when you get ill and really can mess with your hearing. A little bit isn't a huge deal, but once you get more wax it can block your ears and practically get rid of your hearing. It can also get bunged up near your ear drum and damage it. That's especially a risk if you try to clean out your ears with cotton swabs or fingers cos you'll push the wax back so don't do that.
What I would do is go get some antibiotic drops from a pharmacy, use them for a few days and see if it improves. If it doesn't help then go see whatever type of Dr you can again. Although it's not great to use antibiotics when you don't need them using some drops for a little while isn't going to do you any harm. Check with a pharmacist about if those will help clear out any wax too. They probably will, but if not you might be able to take wax drops too (check though cos I don't know if they interact).

Realistically the worst thing you can do right now is nothing cos then be it wax or an infection its sitting there continuing to cause problems and that's what is going to risk your hearing being affected longer term.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
Was there any fluid actually coming out of your ear, or did it just feel like there was fluid somewhere deep inside?
Lucyann19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
No fluid came out, however when I move I can hear fluid in my ear, kind of like when waters in your ear? I feel like i might have an infection behind my ear drum. But after about 3 days I could feel warm fluid in my ear and could hear it squelching, this happened quite suddenly, but still nothing came out. I’ve been to my doctors surgery yesterday, where they said they couldn’t see my eardrum due to wax build up, so I’ve got to have it cleared so they are able to see my eardrum. I’ve been using ear drops but they don’t seem to be doing anything.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
I had exactly the same issue last September! Try and get your ear wax removed as quickly as you can because that will relieve all of the pressure and you should regain your hearing. It really is painful, I feel for you 💗 do you have an appointment soon?
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
No fluid came out, however when I move I can hear fluid in my ear, kind of like when waters in your ear? I feel like i might have an infection behind my ear drum. But after about 3 days I could feel warm fluid in my ear and could hear it squelching, this happened quite suddenly, but still nothing came out. I’ve been to my doctors surgery yesterday, where they said they couldn’t see my eardrum due to wax build up, so I’ve got to have it cleared so they are able to see my eardrum. I’ve been using ear drops but they don’t seem to be doing anything.
Sounds like it could be a blocked eustachian tube then - quite common after a cold. I have had it a few times and it usually clears up after a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (64)
8.44%
I used to but I don't now (19)
2.51%
No, but I want to start (281)
37.07%
No, I am unable to (186)
24.54%
No, I chose not to (208)
27.44%