Poll: LSE vs Sciences Po / University of Toronto
LSE MSc International Political Economy (1 yr) (9)
69.23%
Dual Degree - Sciences Po / University of Toronto (4)
30.77%
EvanF1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

I'm trying to decide between
1. LSE MSc International Political Economy (1 yr)
2. Dual Degree with Sciences Po (International Economic Policy - 1 yr) and the University of Toronto (Global Affairs - 1 yr) (2yrs total)

My background is in Investment Banking in Canada. Interested in moving towards a career at the OECD, World Bank, UN etc.

Although LSE ranks higher than Sciences Po in most areas I'm concerned that I won't be as competitive without having an internship during my degree. Also not sure if I should have a 2 year masters given that my background is in Investment Banking not policy or global affairs.

Hoping for some help!

Cheers
riupps
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,

I'm a Canadian doing the MSc in IPE at LSE right now. Did my undergrad in a similar subject to this degree back in Canada and came here straight afterwords, so a little bit different than your background.

I can say though that this program has felt extremely theoretical and hasn't be very intellectually stimulating (it's been pretty much a consensus amongst people i talk to that it's light work and kind of easy). We have students here who are doing a dual degree with Sciences Po and they felt that the program there was more rigorous and more practical (which might be useful if you want to work in an IO).

I also have a friend at the Munk school at U of T doing the MGA there and it seems more hands on than this IPE degree as well. With that being said all of this is obviously anecdotal and I do think the LSE name could help when you're applying to the organizations you mentionned. I also think if you don't have an academic background in IPE or something similar you could potentially learn a lot from the program.

Overall though I would sum this experience up as follows: London is amazing, LSE students are generally great to be around, and the program is underwhelming if not a bit of a joke.

Hope that helps a bit!
(Original post by EvanF1)
Hi!

I'm trying to decide between
1. LSE MSc International Political Economy (1 yr)
2. Dual Degree with Sciences Po (International Economic Policy - 1 yr) and the University of Toronto (Global Affairs - 1 yr) (2yrs total)

My background is in Investment Banking in Canada. Interested in moving towards a career at the OECD, World Bank, UN etc.

Although LSE ranks higher than Sciences Po in most areas I'm concerned that I won't be as competitive without having an internship during my degree. Also not sure if I should have a 2 year masters given that my background is in Investment Banking not policy or global affairs.

Hoping for some help!

Cheers
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
I met a few Munk students while on graduate exchange at Sciences Po. Amongst the other exchangers, the Munk students all stood out as especially confident in class. I think this is because, as riupps said, Munk degrees are very “hands on”. As I understood it, all their work is done in teams and they have to present all the time. They also have a compulsory internship over the summer and do a consulting project instead of a thesis.

That said, the Munk School doesn’t enjoy the same brand recognition as Sciences Po, and certainly not LSE. Maybe the school is better known in Canada/US.
EvanF1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Decided on LSE Thank you everyone for your thoughts! Very much appreciated! At the end of the day the network and pedigree of the professors at LSE tilted my decision in its favour. I think I'll learn a lot there and hopefully make some great connections. Also nice I can get back into the workforce in just 1 yr instead of 2!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (8)
12.5%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.81%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
4.69%
I need help with my personal statement (27)
42.19%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (16)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.69%

Watched Threads