Funding for 5 year medicine and intercalation year?! Watch

Kara_h
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve got a place at med school to start in September 2019 and I’ve just been looking at student finance.

I’m a bit confused how the student loan works as from what I can see student finance only fund the first four years? I’m also hoping to intercalate, hence spending a total of 6 years at uni.

I’d really appreciate if anyone was able to tell me how my course will be funded each year? (Both tuition and maintenance?)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SFE Chanel
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Kara_h)
I’ve got a place at med school to start in September 2019 and I’ve just been looking at student finance.

I’m a bit confused how the student loan works as from what I can see student finance only fund the first four years? I’m also hoping to intercalate, hence spending a total of 6 years at uni.

I’d really appreciate if anyone was able to tell me how my course will be funded each year? (Both tuition and maintenance?)
Hi Kara,

Are you studying undergradaute or graduate entry medicine?

Thanks, Chanel
Kara_h
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by SFE Chanel)
Hi Kara,

Are you studying undergradaute or graduate entry medicine?

Thanks, Chanel
I’ll be starting undergraduate September 2019
SFE Chanel
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’ll be starting undergraduate September 2019
Hi Kara,

Students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study.

In the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

If a student has intercalated during their course (i.e attended a different course for a year to receive further qualifications) then that year contributes to the students 4 years of study.

Your entitlement for this course is subject to previous study meaning if you have studied before this would affect your entitlement.

Thanks, Chanel
Kara_h
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by SFE Chanel)
Hi Kara,

Students can receive the usual package of support available to undergraduates in their first 4 years of study.

In the 5th and subsequent years of study they are entitled to an income-assessed NHS bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

If a student has intercalated during their course (i.e attended a different course for a year to receive further qualifications) then that year contributes to the students 4 years of study.

Your entitlement for this course is subject to previous study meaning if you have studied before this would affect your entitlement.

Thanks, Chanel
Thank you so much for the info!
Lynsey SFE
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thank you so much for the info!
Hello Kara,

Your welcome, if you need any further help please let us know.

Thanks, Lynsey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (56)
8.18%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.48%
No, but I want to start (257)
37.52%
No, I am unable to (162)
23.65%
No, I chose not to (193)
28.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise