The Student Room Group

Advice on A level choices to study economics at a top 5 uni

I'm currently a Year 12 student studying Biology, Chemistry Physics and Maths. I'm currently working at B A A* A*(Respective), however, all of my teachers have predicted me 4 A*'s and are confident that I will be able to achieve them.

I chose these subjects simply due my enjoyment and ability in studying them, however as I have now decided to pursue an economics degree at 1 of the top 5 unis for the subject- (Cambridge ( Out of Oxbridge), UCL, ICL and LSE....Possibly Warwick).

Now my question is much of a disadvantage not taking Further Maths A level will put me at, as well as if taking 4 Hard Sciences will help make up for that shortfall in any way.

Also if anyone has any general advice to assist with my progression, I would be thankful to hear it. (As a side note, I am not trying to imply that these highly prestigious Universities only care about subjects and grades, I am thoroughly engaged in other activities to prove my passion for the subject as well as my overall candidacy as a student.
Original post by ethancruise15
I'm currently a Year 12 student studying Biology, Chemistry Physics and Maths. I'm currently working at B A A* A*(Respective), however, all of my teachers have predicted me 4 A*'s and are confident that I will be able to achieve them.

I chose these subjects simply due my enjoyment and ability in studying them, however as I have now decided to pursue an economics degree at 1 of the top 5 unis for the subject- (Cambridge ( Out of Oxbridge), UCL, ICL and LSE....Possibly Warwick).

Now my question is much of a disadvantage not taking Further Maths A level will put me at, as well as if taking 4 Hard Sciences will help make up for that shortfall in any way.

Also if anyone has any general advice to assist with my progression, I would be thankful to hear it. (As a side note, I am not trying to imply that these highly prestigious Universities only care about subjects and grades, I am thoroughly engaged in other activities to prove my passion for the subject as well as my overall candidacy as a student.

it should be ok. Cambridge will want to see strong scores in your admissions tests and the others won't be competitive enough to care. they may have concerns about your focus, so you will need a particularly strong personal statement to prove your dedication to econ.

also im pretty sure Imperial don't do economics.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
it should be ok. Cambridge will want to see strong scores in your admissions tests and the others won't be competitive enough to care. they may have concerns about your focus, so you will need a particularly strong personal statement to prove your dedication to econ.

also im pretty sure Imperial don't do economics.

Thanks for the reply, wow I did completely did not know that about Imperial. Is that really true with LSE and UCL, as far as I was aware they were highly competitive?
Reply 3
I may be wrong, but I thought maybe at Oxford/LSE essay writing skills were important? Perhaps not in a subject but as long as you can explain you have them in some way that would make your application stronger.
Original post by NukaCola
I may be wrong, but I thought maybe at Oxford/LSE essay writing skills were important? Perhaps not in a subject but as long as you can explain you have them in some way that would make your application stronger.

From what I've heard Oxford has an essay based course, whilst LSE is supposedly much more quantitive. I understand the need to demonstrate other qualities that the rational thinking associated with my scientific subjects, which is one of the reasons I write articles on a variety of matters for sixth-form journals and newsletters.

Thanks for the reply tho.
Reply 5
Original post by ethancruise15
From what I've heard Oxford has an essay based course, whilst LSE is supposedly much more quantitive. I understand the need to demonstrate other qualities that the rational thinking associated with my scientific subjects, which is one of the reasons I write articles on a variety of matters for sixth-form journals and newsletters.

Thanks for the reply tho.

All good, was just reading LSE’s website on it.

Quick Reply

Latest