Is 20 too young to get married? Watch

SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my view of marriage is if u were to jump out a plane and had 50% chance of parachute opening you say no im not going. and same with marriage is it not 50 chance that it wont last and most divorces are initiated by women. women that would rather cash out with money and prizes than fix it. yet despite this men are eager to marry but they dont think u know what i am probably getting in the line to lose half my stuff
Last edited by SJW-; 1 week ago
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do people still care about marriage these days?
barror1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Give it some time to go through some milestones and see how it goes! No reason why nothing could happen in the next few years
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly it is very young but there’s no way of anyone knowing if it will work or not. I know couples who got engaged at that age and are still together, but I also know couples who were together 10+ years and it still didn’t work out. I don’t really see the need to get married so young, surely you’d be better off just waiting a couple of years until you’ve done things like get a stable job/career, bought a house etc. If it’s for religious reasons then I guess go for it, it’s your choice.
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am going to be uncharacteristically blunt here and say I'm afraid that in my own personal opinion, 20 is far too young to even consider marriage.

The reality is that being 20 is actually like being age 0. You are not long out of school or similar, and have not yet experienced life or the world fully. Enjoy being young and exploring the avenues that life has to offer. Once you are thirty and have 10 whole years of experience, THEN you will have grown enough and experienced enough of the world to know what marriage is and how to 'run' a marriage.

Honestly, and I mean this with all sincerity, don't marry at 20. you and your partner have plenty of growing left to do yet. If they are the one and it is truly meant to be then they will still be there when you are 30 and you will both have some mileage and scars and stories and know what marriage is all about.
taher4946
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what would jesus say
Illusination
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you’re having to ask a bunch of strangers on a student form then you’re probably not ready to marry just yet
Mona.M
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
AAWWWWEEE, i find this soo cute. If you really think you can keep everything floating then go for it. Just make sure you're sure. Marriage will probably change a lot, not that i would know.
But if you do think that you can live with this girl for the rest of your life then go for it.
Don't let all this financial crap that you've been reading sway your decision.
If this is what you want and what she wants, then i don't see anything against it.
Besides, this girl is probably one lucky girl
Last edited by Mona.M; 1 week ago
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Beirut_Ewan)
Me and my girlfriend really like each together we’ve been a couple for 3 years now.

Is it too young to get married?
Not necessarily. It depends on your lives and your feelings. It sounds like you are pretty solid in your relationship, if you've been an item for 3 years, but it still might not be the best time to add all the wedding stress into the mix. Nowadays there isn't much of a rush to get married. You can still be an item live together and do all that stuff without being married so there's not that same importance to marriage (well depending on your culture and beliefs anyway). It might be worth waiting a bit until you are both financially stable, are a bit more used to adulting together (I assume you're recently out of uni) and have some savings. You don't need to though. If this feels like the right time and she says yes then awesome. You can always hold off on the actual wedding for a while even and still be engaged.

It all depends on what seems right for you guys and your lives. We can't tell you what's right or wrong for you.

My partner and I have been together since the end of college. We lived together at uni, went through a fair bit of challenges together, have the same sort of future life plans. We would have been ready to get married at 20, but we're waiting until things outside of our relationship are more wedding ready (savings etc). That's what feels right to us, but the sky wouldn't have fallen if we'd got married sooner. We'd have had a bit of a basic wedding and then things would be pretty much the same as they are now, but we'd be wearing rings. No big deal really.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
pretty young yeah

not unheard of though for people to gret married at your age usually for religious reasons though
malevels
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Beirut_Ewan)
Me and my girlfriend really like each together we’ve been a couple for 3 years now.

Is it too young to get married?
No, not at all
hagface_xo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Totally depends on your relationship. I got engaged at 20 and married at 22, we’ve been together 8 years now and married nearly 4. We’d lived together most of our relationship though, first in halls where we met, then a shared flat then a flat of our own and had lived just the two of us for just over a year and a half by the time we got engaged (which was on our 3rd anniversary). We were still at uni/college (I switched during our second year} when we got engaged but we’d both been graduated a year when we got married giving us time to settle into jobs etc. We had no family opposition or concerns about age etc and all of our friends and family were over the moon for us.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn’t want my children to marry until they’d established their careers and could finance their own home. Living with me, when married, would feel to me like some kind of failure at adulthood, so marrying at 20, to me, is not compatible with that standard.
Last edited by DrSocSciences; 1 week ago
TheUKAmerican
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I won't flat out say yes or no like some others here, but I'll give you my take:
I know someone at my university who got married before they started their course... they seem to be happy. It's all a crapshoot because each individual couple's situation is going to be highly variable. Don't just trust your 'gut feeling' (I.e.; don't listen to your infatuation.) But do think clearly about if you're ready to commit the last 40-60 years of your life to being with this person, after only knowing them for 3. I'm not sure about the specific answer for you, because I'm not you.

At the end of the day my personal intuition is... probably too young, but sometimes it works out so clearly it isn't always a horrible decision. You have to decide (using your logic not your emotions) which situation your particularly relationship is in, because I can't decide that for you.
Throor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd say that it depends for everyone, but (haven't been in the position so don't have experience in this) I would think that it would be a 'when you know, you know' type situation, and that having to ask on a forum such as this should tell you that you're.not ready.
ebam_uk
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hagface_xo)
Totally depends on your relationship. I got engaged at 20 and married at 22, we’ve been together 8 years now and married nearly 4. We’d lived together most of our relationship though, first in halls where we met, then a shared flat then a flat of our own and had lived just the two of us for just over a year and a half by the time we got engaged (which was on our 3rd anniversary). We were still at uni/college (I switched during our second year} when we got engaged but we’d both been graduated a year when we got married giving us time to settle into jobs etc. We had no family opposition or concerns about age etc and all of our friends and family were over the moon for us.
Thats the thing people get married at all ages and it works, and in the same way people get married at all ages and it doesn't work.

My advice is: Have a long term vision and commitment in place, and also have your finances together as this is something that can kill married.

say if you wait another 10 years to get married because thats when people on average get married then its just following the crowd then..
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sounds rushed. What's the hurry? If no hurry, then a few more years will be good for the relationsip to grow into maturity before committing to a lifelong relationship, which is a good thing to aim for, although many look at marriage differently.
ah317
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
w

(Original post by BillySmith101)
I would say Yes You are still young and can easily change your mind.
Also the cost is super expensive.

Worst case senario -
Spoiler:
Show
She says no
worst case scenario is probably getting married and then divorced before you are even 30 with a child (or even multiple children) that just really ruins your odds in the dating market and also from a mental health perspective pretty bad for both the parents, not to mention the consequences for children.
helpthistudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
as long as you have the right means ; financially stable then you can get married whenever
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
Can you both financially support yourselves is the main question? i.e. Rent, Utility bills & Food can be payed with your current monthly salary.
If you can't fulfil this criteria, then it's too early for you to marry.

Assuming you decide to live in your parents house (and don't pay for much) after marrying then I guess it's not too early, us Asians do the same thing then move out about 3-4 years down the line.
I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (42)
11.93%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
11.08%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.13%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.56%
No (251)
71.31%

Watched Threads