Black box fitting - modifications?? Watch

BigJeff68
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I've recently taken out a policy with smartmiles and I'm worried about some minor modifications that have been done to my car by it's previous owner.

It's a Vauxhall Corsa SXi with factory rear window and light tints.
The previous owner has replaced the stereo, debadged the rear and added wind deflectors.

I'm wondering if the black box fitter would be concerened about any of these.

Thank you
Last edited by BigJeff68; 1 week ago
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BigJeff68)
Hi,
I've recently taken out a policy with smartmiles and I'm worried about some minor modifications that have been done to my car by it's previous owner.

It's a Vauxhall Corsa SXi with factory rear window and light tints.
The previous owner has replaced the stereo, debadged the rear and added wind deflectors.

I'm wondering if the black box fitter would be concerened about any of these.

Thank you
Have you declared any of the modifications? If not, expect a cancellation notice.
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As long as you have declared them its not an issue
Mosinwywyeye
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes if you havent declared expect a cancellation
nevershear
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You'll get your insurance cancelled. I don't think there are any black box providers that cover modifications. The whole concept of telematics insurance being super cheap is the amount of conditions the underwriters impose to keep the premium as low as possible, such as low mileage limits, no modifications, being tracked etc. What's the betting you've got aftermarket alloys too?
BigJeff68
Rep:
?
Wheels are stock, do you reckon if I get a badge for the boot, take the radio out and the wind deflectors off it will be ok? It said in the box for modifications that I only had to declare aftermarket tints.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wheels are stock, do you reckon if I get a badge for the boot, take the radio out and the wind deflectors off it will be ok? It said in the box for modifications that I only had to declare aftermarket tints.
Were they a factory option, or was it part of the spec for that car - very important distinction.
BigJeff68
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Were they a factory option, or was it part of the spec for that car - very important distinction.
"A modification is any change to the manufacturer's original specification or features. That includes things like body kits or spoilers, alloy or painted wheels, aftermarket window tints, new paintwork or stickers, and any performance enhancement." From the (YES/NO) modifications box.
Last edited by BigJeff68; 1 week ago
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
"A modification is any change to the manufacturer's original specification or features. That includes things like body kits or spoilers, alloy or painted wheels, aftermarket window tints, new paintwork or stickers, and any performance enhancement." From the (YES/NO) modificatioins box.
Exactly - so any optional factory options must be declared, just like any insurance policy.

You need to check as to whether the tints were standard with that trim level at the time, or whether they were factory OPTIONS.
BigJeff68
Rep:
?
Exactly - so any optional factory options must be declared, just like any insurance policy.

You need to check as to whether the tints were standard with that trim level at the time, or whether they were factory OPTIONS.
Phoned my insurer, they are fine with the radio and tints - All I need to do is get some badges before the black box fitter arrives.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Phoned my insurer, they are fine with the radio and tints - All I need to do is get some badges before the black box fitter arrives.
Did they enquire as to whether they were factory standard or not?
nevershear
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did they enquire as to whether they were factory standard or not?
Problem is the 5000 different limited edition corsas where they have different specs. So yeah this is crucial.
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I can confirm the Sxi was standard with tinted privacy glass (not sure about the lights, seen some standard with and some without).
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (216)
60%
No (144)
40%

Watched Threads