The Student Room Group

I have chosen subjects for sixth form and still feel uncertain

Ok so I am currently in year11 , and not long ago I have picked some subjects that I would ‘like’to study for sixth form:
-gov. and politics
-criminology
- R.E (religious studies)

I am really not sure if criminology was the right decision beacause apparently it is almost like one of the sociology’s themes Crime and deviance. However I am really bad at sociology which is one of my gcses subject.. and I think it’s going to be as difficult. Aswell as I am not so sure about government and politics, as I have no idea what i want to do, so I have no interest in any of the subjects at all..

Has anyone experienced this and somehow managed to solve something like that? If anyone knows any advice for choosing the right subjects that would be helpful
My advice would be to pick what your passionate about and subjects that you're good at. If you're not sure what you want to do in the future, pick subject which will keep your options open for the future :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GyvasVanduo
Ok so I am currently in year11 , and not long ago I have picked some subjects that I would ‘like’to study for sixth form:
-gov. and politics
-criminology

I am really not sure if criminology was the right decision beacause apparently it is almost like one of the sociology’s themes Crime and deviance. However I am really bad at sociology which is one of my gcses subject.. and I think it’s going to be as difficult. Aswell as I am not so sure about government and politics, as I have no idea what i want to do, so I have no interest in any of the subjects at all..

Has anyone experienced this and somehow managed to solve something like that? If anyone knows any advice for choosing the right subjects that would be helpful

do ur research on facilitating subjects
-gov. and politics
-criminology

crimonology is a soft subject. do a proper subject like history.
Reply 4
Original post by CollectiveSoul
crimonology is a soft subject. do a proper subject like history.

I agree, these subjects are somewhat seen as ‘soft’, however I did not pick history for gcse so I havent got much of experience. I don’t know what other subject that is seen as good I should choose :///
Reply 5
I have just bought myself a revision guide and will do some serious revision, maybe it isn’t as bad as I thought, well I’ll see. :smile:
you don't have to do history gcse for history a-level. As long as you get B grades in english you should be fine :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by mpaprika
you don't have to do history gcse for history a-level. As long as you get B grades in english you should be fine :smile:

Ok thanks, I will keep it in mind! :smile: But I still don’t fully understand about history as I thought A level was like “going further” with all of the topics that have been learned in gcse histroy.
-gov. and politics
-criminology

Hey, just wondering if it's too late to change the subjects you have chosen? If not, then I would advise this: check out all the subjects your school offers for a level and see what they involve. Make a note of each subject that you feel looks good and you may want to pursue in the future. For example, it seems like you are quite interested in sociological areas, specifically crime, and you can base your a levels on this; have you considered psychology or history?
If you are not sure about what you want to do AT ALL and you want to go to uni, then I would suggest doing maths for a level, because it opens up so many choices in terms of unis and courses you can take. It's also useful if you realise you don't want to go down that career path at all.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ok thanks, I will keep it in mind! :smile: But I still don’t fully understand about history as I thought A level was like “going further” with all of the topics that have been learned in gcse histroy.

there's a different specification and different topics. Sure, at gcse you might've learned how to write ''history essays'' however at A-Level it's different because every paper requires a different way of writing so you're not missing anything by not doing gcse
Original post by XKangaotiCX
Hey, just wondering if it's too late to change the subjects you have chosen? If not, then I would advise this: check out all the subjects your school offers for a level and see what they involve. Make a note of each subject that you feel looks good and you may want to pursue in the future. For example, it seems like you are quite interested in sociological areas, specifically crime, and you can base your a levels on this; have you considered psychology or history?
If you are not sure about what you want to do AT ALL and you want to go to uni, then I would suggest doing maths for a level, because it opens up so many choices in terms of unis and courses you can take. It's also useful if you realise you don't want to go down that career path at all.

I'm not sure if this will help you, but good luck.

I completely agree with you about maths, but i am not a natural, I would fail it if I chose it as one of my A levels. It is still not too late to change the A level choices by the way, so I will try to gather more information and see which ones more suitable fore me :smile: and thankss :wink:
Reply 11
if you are not sure as to what you want to do, i would personally take more open ended subjects.
it seems you are not interested in science, so i would suggest History, Geography, English, Rs etc

i personally wouldnt go into more closed subjects like govenerment and politics
Original post by mnnbv
if you are not sure as to what you want to do, i would personally take more open ended subjects.
it seems you are not interested in science, so i would suggest History, Geography, English, Rs etc

i personally wouldnt go into more closed subjects like govenerment and politics

I really enjoy biology and am really good at it, I was even once dreaming of becoming a doctor, however medicine studies are so competitive and requires perfect grades which I don’t have.
could you please expand on closed subjects such as gov and politics? Why do you think it’s not as useful, that would be helpful :smile:
I agree, these subjects are somewhat seen as ‘soft’, however I did not pick history for gcse so I havent got much of experience. I don’t know what other subject that is seen as good I should choose :///

then do geography. very simple
Reply 14
I really enjoy biology and am really good at it, I was even once dreaming of becoming a doctor, however medicine studies are so competitive and requires perfect grades which I don’t have.
could you please expand on closed subjects such as gov and politics? Why do you think it’s not as useful, that would be helpful :smile:

I personally think that doing the subjects i stated will open up more university courses to you.
But, you need to do the research and look at what universities like!
You are only in year 11, so if you still want to do medicine. it is possible (im in year 13 and have med offers so can give some advice)

for med you will need:
-bio and chem at a level
-in your yr 12 summer you will need to sit the UKCAT
-work experience in a caring enviroment (ideally a hospital or gp practise)
-long term volunteering in a caring enviroment eg a carehome
-extracurriculars like sport and music
-ideally good GCSEs but this is not essential if you do really well in the UKCAT
I completely agree with you about maths, but i am not a natural, I would fail it if I chose it as one of my A levels. It is still not too late to change the A level choices by the way, so I will try to gather more information and see which ones more suitable fore me :smile: and thankss :wink:

I'm in a similar position to you, I've decided on taking maths, physics, psychology and history.... but I'm having some serious doubts about psychology. Anyway, I'm sure you'll take a great set of subjects which you enjoy and help you out in the future (it's finding that balance which is hard). Keep looking and I wish you luck! When is your deadline to decide the a level choices?

Quick Reply

Latest