Severe depression - last chance at uni, should I quit? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

I'm in my final year of uni, studying law. Unfortunately for the past 2 years I've had very severe depression alongside other mental conditions that I don't need to go into. I'm talking very serious depression... the kind that causes brief periods of stuff like psychomotor retardation, where I can't move my limbs properly and can't move properly etc.

The depression is constant, and has been for 2 years straight with no days of feeling anywhere close to normal. I took 2 gap years in between 2nd and 3rd year in the hope that I would get better, but I didn't. I am treatment resistant, nothing has worked so far (I've tried a lot, including a form of shock therapy).

Now obviously, in normal circumstances, the recommendation would be to drop out of uni as its obviously not sustainable to be dealing with this stuff whilst studying. But in my case, my uni have been good, and aren't on my back for not attending classes. We have informally agreed that they will allow me to just finish the year, take the exams and hope for the best. I have a history of performing well in exams without any revision, I was depressed in 2nd year (milder), and managed to get 4 marks of a 2.2 with practically no revision at all.

Now, this year is different from 2nd year. Partially because my condition is much worse, and partially because the content is more demanding. When my depression is a bit less intense, I can manage to do small bits of work, but its not close to being enough. My uni only permits 2 interrupted years, so this is my last shot.

So I wanted to ask you guys what you think I should do? Should I keep plodding through the year, not attending classes, doing as much as I can (which I know will only be a fraction of the amount required), and take the exams at the end of they year? I'm leaning towards this, but I'm conscious of the fact that the stress of being so far behind, may be worsening my state. I'm also pretty convinced that I won't be able to perform in the exams as well as I have done before. Also, I don't like the fact that I'm not showing up to any of my classes... its kinda awkward when I have to interact with my tutors online, and it just drives home the fact that I'm not really a student after all.

Let me know what you think, thanks.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think your health is far more important than the degree.
First sort out yourself and then consider the degree. What's the point in plodding through if you don't end up with a 2:1 or 1st (what most places will want)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (212)
59.89%
No (142)
40.11%

Watched Threads