The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i had it as 2x + (2x^3)/3 + (2x^5)/5
yup, i that's what i had. i hadn't done a question of this sort before, so wasn't too sure about it, but i think my method was:

ln(1+x) was as above, and for ln(1-x) i just put ln(1+(-x))
Reply 21
to bhrama bull wow pretty similar to me i hated that test. the martrices were really nice but everything else was horrible. and i messed up question 2 as well. i ate a whole lot of chocolate after that exam!!!
Reply 22
Where was the question on area of a sector!?!?!? It put me off that not being the first question and I hadn't a clue about the question in place of it. The question about the series was just pure stupid I thought!
Q2 was alright, they missed out the C+jS thing as well. I couldn't do the bit where it asked for k1, k2 and k3, but I did leave it until last minute so was rushing to try and find the answer.
Q3 and Q4 were easy I thought. Those who said about finding the x coordinate , and then the y coordinate in Q4, you only needed the y coordinate so you could have used the value for sinhx that you had if you used the correct substitution earlier on. Made my life a lot easier!
All in all the exam wasn't bad, was a lot better than in January! I'm just glad it's out of the way, just another 10 exams to go =[
Does anyone think the boundaries will be a bit lower this year, say 49 for an A? *prays* :frown:
doubt it and that was definitely not easier than the Jan08 paper. That was so easy. In fact the grade boundaries were like 62 for an A in that one. Wish I did that one now.
Jan '08 did indeed seem like a walk in the park compared to this. It had summation of series & calculating the area enclosed by a curve: the only things I can actually do!
Why don't we all just hope everyone did badly! That way the boundaries will be lower.
I didn't just do badly tho. I did fecking, horrifically, laughably, ridiculously, awful.
Epitomessence
I didn't just do badly tho. I did fecking, horrifically, laughably, ridiculously, awful.

lol ok. Why hope it is 49 for an A then?
Reply 29
When I did the Jan 08 paper I hadn't done C4 and had to quickly learn identities and that but having done it it helped alot, which is why it was easier for me. Hyperbolics question was definitely easier I think, and the matrices was cos they'd done the majority of the working out, the rest you could check on a calculator.

And by what is being said on this thread, the boundaries might be lower, everyone seemed to find it hard. But maybe that's a bad sign, I tend to do better when I thought it was hard.. Does anyone else find that?
TheBhramaBull
lol ok. Why hope it is 49 for an A then?

Becuase then I at least have a shot of getting a C or a B. :frown:
lol k good luck seems most people on here found it more difficult than usual. And people on TSR are usually la creme de la creme, so if they found it difficult then I'm assuming most people found it difficult. But then again I don't think many TSR users do MEI, Edexcel is preferred. So who knows...
Reply 32
I started learning FP2 last Tuesday, chapter-by-chapter, a chapter a day - yay chapter assessments! The textbook is great for self-teaching! Matrices are just so easy now! :biggrin:

Korg
yeh, i'd say that was harder than nearly all the past papers. i couldn't make sense of show that series to be ln 3, could do all of it up to that though. What did everyones graph look like for the first question?

Graphical calculators are your friend.

I didn't do 1i, because I forgot the cartesian-polar conversion, despite it being ridiculously obvious! It was in none of the past papers at all, so I thought it would be fine not to worry! :rolleyes:

TheBhramaBull
Found this quite difficult. Different to all the past papers. Think I've done ok though because of question 2 and 3.

I liked 3 and 4. Full marks in both, or close to, with any luck.

TheBhramaBull
doubt it and that was definitely not easier than the Jan08 paper. That was so easy. In fact the grade boundaries were like 62 for an A in that one. Wish I did that one now.

Jan '08 - piece of piss. This - hard!

Epitomessence
Jan '08 did indeed seem like a walk in the park compared to this. It had summation of series & calculating the area enclosed by a curve: the only things I can actually do!

Yes, Jan '08 was lurvely. Hopefully low boundaries this year, though! :p:
Reply 33
I found this exam pretty hard. It was nothing like the practice papers off of the MEI Resources (Although for some questions these were far easier anyway). It was also much harder than the past papers.

Question 1 threw me at first but then I managed the rest without many problems. I did get a -2x^2 for a while though until I worked out where I went wrong.

The second bit of that where it was ln(3) needed you to put x=0.5 into the ln(x+1/x-1) follow that through for the result and then set r=0,1,2 in the Sigma thing and then compare.

Question two confused me initially so i missed it out and then forgot to come back to it. Missed about half of that out. Then went onto question 5, that went OK, was a bit different to the past papers again though. Did anyone else do question 5? Just wondering what you got for the explaination in the final part. Spent far too much time on this question though.

Question 3 was fine although due to not having enough time I didnt get the last bit finished, one or two lines away from the end though so it was quite annoying.

Overall I didnt think that the questions were too hard, I just took far too long doing them all.
I thought the paper was generally okay actually!

I think i messed up the last part of the matrices question though :frown: Hopefully will get follow through marks so probably lost about 2/3 in total...

What do you guys think the cut off for maximum UMS will be?
This was hard paper. I mean where was the c+js bit and area of a sector?:mad:

There was a real TIME issue as well!

I so need an A

I think I have dropped 16 marks most of them because I didn't have enough TIME!
Reply 36
I didn't think it was any harder than usual, just different. You weren't doing exactly the same questions as were on the other past papers, but questions of similar difficulty that you haven't actually done 50 times before. In effect this makes the paper harder, but only because you don't actually know the answer before you start.

I'm quite frankly appalled that they allow calculators that can do the graph sketching and matrices questions fo you. Where's the skill in that? It's a good thing that they mixed things up a bit so that you might actually have to pause before writing.
Reply 37
Thaiprawns
This was hard paper. I mean where was the c+js bit and area of a sector?:mad:

There was a real TIME issue as well!

I so need an A

I think I have dropped 16 marks most of them because I didn't have enough TIME!

Marks wise, I have 10 confirmed casualties. Pretty confident about the rest, ±5 I'd say.

YES, C+jS. I hated that initially the past papers, but I learnt it properly after the first few papers and it didn't even come up!

You can get calculators to do matrices? Wouldn't you get no marks for that...?

P.S. The graph should've looked like this. I can't remember the constant, but this is the general shape. Apple Grapher is awesome. Shame I can't take my laptop into the exam. :p:

Reply 38
harr
I didn't think it was any harder than usual, just different. You weren't doing exactly the same questions as were on the other past papers, but questions of similar difficulty that you haven't actually done 50 times before. In effect this makes the paper harder, but only because you don't actually know the answer before you start.

I'm quite frankly appalled that they allow calculators that can do the graph sketching and matrices questions fo you. Where's the skill in that? It's a good thing that they mixed things up a bit so that you might actually have to pause before writing.

Well they kinda have to have calcs that can do the graph sketching for you otherwise there would be no point in Question 5....

Also whats so bad about having a calculator that can do the matricies for you? You still actually have to do 90% of the working out in order to gain any sort of decent mark on the question. They also dont work with algebra in there, so those of us with the graphical calculators cant just stick in a matrix with K and have it find us a nice inverse, we still have to do all the longer drawn out bits, its just we have an added easier checking method.

I also dont see why many people have this crazy emphasis on that everything must be done in your head and calculators are evil. If a bit of technology can make your life easier and your allowed to use it why shouldnt you. They didnt invent calculators so that you can use it at any other time, except in an exam where you have to use an abacus.
Reply 39
HCD
I started learning FP2 last Tuesday, chapter-by-chapter, a chapter a day - yay chapter assessments!

yay those chapter assessments were how i learnt FP2 as well.

matrices were fine even without a graphic calculator but everything else was horrific. i'm so relieved that everyone found this bad coz there's no way i'm getting an a in chemistry and i need 3 somehow :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending