The Student Room Group

We want to drop out of a tenancy agreement, can we get our damage deposit back?

Hi, me and my flatmates found a 4 bedroom house we wanted to move into for the second year so signed the contract, paid the agency fee and the damage deposit (£300). Then one of the girls decided to drop out of the house and left us to try and find a fourth person. However, after trying and failing to find someone and deciding we don't like the thought of having a stranger in the house, we have realized we would rather live in a 3 bedroom house. However, can we get out of our current contract and get out damage deposit back? We cannot afford to love £1,200 collectively but I can't see any other way out. Any advice would be so helpful, thank you.
Original post by lucycoates17
Hi, me and my flatmates found a 4 bedroom house we wanted to move into for the second year so signed the contract, paid the agency fee and the damage deposit (£300). Then one of the girls decided to drop out of the house and left us to try and find a fourth person. However, after trying and failing to find someone and deciding we don't like the thought of having a stranger in the house, we have realized we would rather live in a 3 bedroom house. However, can we get out of our current contract and get out damage deposit back? We cannot afford to love £1,200 collectively but I can't see any other way out. Any advice would be so helpful, thank you.

You need to check your contract, but if it's a deposit for just damage, I don't see why not.

I suggest you take all of your documentation and book an appointment with your Student's Union which should have an advice unit for you to ask your question.
I think your big problem is getting out of the contract in the first place, let alone the deposit.
I agree with the above. The likelihood is none of you can leave the contract without paying for the full year. You need to speak to the letting agent and check your contract asap so this other girl doesn't end up contracted to 2 rooms.

Also make your you know if you're liable as a group for the rent or individually as if you're liable as a group you need to speak to the other girl as the letting agent could pursue you for her share of the rent.
If you've signed the contract then you've said that you're living there, and have agreed to pay the rent. You should speak to the estate agent about whether you can actually get out - this damage deposit is probably the least of your problems.
Reply 5
Yes as all of the above have said, getting out of the contract is the hardest bit. You have 2 weeks legally to drop out of the contract. If it has been over two weeks you will have to pay or find someone to replace you. Effectively people take your place and you are released from the contract. Or, you have to say there and find another roommate.

Quick Reply

Latest