Can't focus Watch

Presto
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Every time I sit down for studying I distract myself.
Even if I set times, turn off the wifi, remove all distractions or plan to study things in short bursts, I just end up wasting my time in thinking/fantasising. I just can't zone out while studying.
So I need some tips on how improve concentration or on how to clear my mind from all thoughts?
cupecakes123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Presto)
Every time I sit down for studying I distract myself.
Even if I set times, turn off the wifi, remove all distractions or plan to study things in short bursts, I just end up wasting my time in thinking/fantasising. I just can't zone out while studying.
So I need some tips on how improve concentration or on how to clear my mind from all thoughts?
I have the exact same problem, ugh it is so frustrating, I'm on the verge of giving up with a level I'm so sick of it.
here are a few things to try
1) work in the library near hard working strangers or year 13s (you won't be able to talk to anyone but you'll feel like you need to start working
2)before you start working remind yourself what the aim is of working (are you working to get a certain grade go to your dream uni) and every time you get a bit distracted remind yourself of this
3) shorten your study times and build your concentration (work in 20 mins blocks ) its much easier o concentrate for a few mins start with 15 even if you have to and work your way up.
4) when you don't feel like working at all just sit there tell yourself you're not allowed to do anything and set a 5 min timer where you sit still and do nothing for those 5 mins
5) when you get distracted whilst studying make a list of things that distract you so just leave some blank paper and any thoughts that come into your head that isn't revision put it down on that paper until its time for a break

don't give up on yourself and remember its OKAY to not be able to work sometimes as long as you are still trying and don't be harsh on yourself (because i am every time I don't work and then I just sulk for the rest of the day- don't do that it becomes a horrible little cycle and won't help you )
you 've got this.
Sesay2211
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yer i have the same problem on weekends their's just to many distractions at home. Cupecakes suggestion on going to a library is a really good one which i've been doing recently as well as chunking up the study sessions. I think listening to instrumental music a good one, it helps me to get through the last few hours of revision when my mind keeps wondering off.
velvethopes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm the same. Mostly it's down to self control.

Force yourself to study, and time yourself for how long you manage before your mind starts drifting off and you're unable to get back into it. Use this time in the pomodoro technique.

Exercising before studying is said to boost concentration also, so maybe do some light exercise beforehand.

I also find that small things like getting out of comfy pyjamas/lounging clothes and wearing regular clothes with shoes actually helps too, because my brain doesn't think it's going to be relaxing.

Finally, sometimes watching a short video that's motivating or informative beforehand can help motivate me, such as studytube channels, or videos that motivate me to stay off my phone such as Exurb1a's "Digital Hygiene" video
Presto
(Original post by cupecakes123)
I have the exact same problem, ugh it is so frustrating, I'm on the verge of giving up with a level I'm so sick of it.
1) work in the library near hard working strangers or year 13s (you won't be able to talk to anyone but you'll feel like you need to start working
2)before you start working remind yourself what the aim is of working (are you working to get a certain grade go to your dream uni) and every time you get a bit distracted remind yourself of this
3) shorten your study times and build your concentration (work in 20 mins blocks ) its much easier o concentrate for a few mins start with 15 even if you have to and work your way up.
4) when you don't feel like working at all just sit there tell yourself you're not allowed to do anything and set a 5 min timer where you sit still and do nothing for those 5 mins
5) when you get distracted whilst studying make a list of things that distract you so just leave some blank paper and any thoughts that come into your head that isn't revision put it down on that paper until its time for a break

don't give up on yourself and remember its OKAY to not be able to work sometimes as long as you are still trying and don't be harsh on yourself (because i am every time I don't work and then I just sulk for the rest of the day- don't do that it becomes a horrible little cycle and won't help you )
you 've got this.
Don't really like the idea of working in a library but thank you so soo much for all your other tips!
I will implement these into my life
Presto
(Original post by Sesay2211)
Yer i have the same problem on weekends their's just to many distractions at home. Cupecakes suggestion on going to a library is a really good one which i've been doing recently as well as chunking up the study sessions. I think listening to instrumental music a good one, it helps me to get through the last few hours of revision when my mind keeps wondering off.
I find music distracting while studying but I listen to white noise sometimes when there's too much noise at home.
But just out of curiosity, what music in particular do you listen to?
Presto
(Original post by velvethopes)
I'm the same. Mostly it's down to self control.

Force yourself to study, and time yourself for how long you manage before your mind starts drifting off and you're unable to get back into it. Use this time in the pomodoro technique.

Exercising before studying is said to boost concentration also, so maybe do some light exercise beforehand.

I also find that small things like getting out of comfy pyjamas/lounging clothes and wearing regular clothes with shoes actually helps too, because my brain doesn't think it's going to be relaxing.

Finally, sometimes watching a short video that's motivating or informative beforehand can help motivate me, such as studytube channels, or videos that motivate me to stay off my phone such as Exurb1a's "Digital Hygiene" video
Yeah self control or self discipline. Both of which I lack (at least when it comes to studying).
I liked the thing you said about timing myself and cool vid, thanks
Jono*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have the same problem, but don't give up...I only started really getting my head down a couple months before my a level exams and somehow managed to scrape As, so all is not lost.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
modifiedgenes
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You want focus and motivation?

Ditch all distractions. Sign out of facebook, put your phone on airplane mode and put it down. Xbox and playstation, unplug them from the wall. They can't help you now.

Remove all posters from your walls and store away other distractions. The only thing on your walls are motivational or study materials or posters you have made yourself covered in content you need to learn. Books are allowed if they are pertinent to the material you are studying.

Shut the door. Block out the world.

Headphones. Amazon music. Study playlist on. I find that music with no lyrics is best for me but you will need to experiment to find what fits you.

Get in the zone. If you want something enough, you will find a way. Best of luck. I have a selection of music and motivational music and videos I like to watch in between study sessions.
ymoug
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by cupecakes123)

you 've got this.
You're great!
I agree entirely with (1). I dont know what it is about studying next to strangers but it really has seemed to work for me. i feel like i need to prove to them and myself that i am serious about my education so i remain focused eventhough i will probably never see them again

and secondly - similar to (3), i enjoy using a pomodoro timer - breaking my study and break sessions into much smaller, less daunting blocks where i complete an intense revision session free from distractions for 25mins, followed by a 5min break. As cupecakes said, you can reduce the time of the intense revision sessions to a much smaller, more manageable blocks such as 15 or 20mins. Once you get started, you'll be astonished at how quickly the time goes by. I also think that viewing your intense revision sessions in much smaller blocks which are shorter than a half hour also might motivate you to study even when you're feeling very lazy. I recommend the 'Tide' app which i know is on the apple store.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (0)
0%
No (53)
100%

Watched Threads