GCSE options Watch

17t.martin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I’m choosing my options soon, and I just want to clarify a few things.
1) Is classics useful in later life? Is it a harder subject? What are the exam questions like in classics? Is it similar to History and English?

2) What topics are covered in RS? Is it easy?

3) What are speaking and listening exams in English?

4) What are the practical exams like in Science? How do they work and when do you do them?

5) What’s the easiest language out of German, Spanish and French?

6) Does Geography have coursework? Are there Fieldtrips? Do employers prefer you to do geography than history?

7) How many options can you do?

8) What’s the difference between economics and buisness?

9) What is food technology like? Is it hard? Is there lots of coursework?

Please answer as many questions as you can, thanks
mohameds04
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1. I have never done classics so i cant answer that,
2. If you are doing edexcel re there are 2 different courses the short and long course. The short course you only do two religions,
3. There are only a speaking exam which doesnt count towards your grade.
4. They are around28 practicals which you have to do and learn that may be asked on your exam.
5. I never did any of those languages.
6. Geography has trips but no coursework. If you want to do business do geography but for law do history.
7. Depends on your school.
8.Economics would be better as people are more inclined to choose business as its easier but economics is more useful.
8. Never did it
GyvasVanduo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Econonics is mainly about effects that happen on the country’s economy, because of several factors eg people and how they spend etc. It is involved with drawing graphs, taxes, things such as inflation, downfalls and manyy more. It is interesting but if you pick it try to be prepared for it, as there isn’t any proper gcse revision guides eg cgp (only for A levels)so you will have to use internet for research or some text books from school.
mjhmichael18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know as I didn’t do it at school but from what I have heard, I think yes it is similar to History and English. RS is not easy even if you are Christian yourself you may struggle like I did. You make some notes and then do a speech or presentation. They are okay but they work like you are asked about what you did in a practical so try and memorise or revise before the exam and they are normally in May or June like the normal exams at the end of Year 11. French is quite hard for most people unless you have a passion for languages or you are French yourself. I don’t know about German and Spanish as I didn’t do them in school. No, Geography doesn’t have coursework but it does have something similar. Yes, There are field trips. Depends on the employer and what you want to do in the future. Most students do 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 GCSEs in Year 11 and pick 3 as normally at most schools 6 are compulsory like for example Maths and English Lit and English Lang and Science (counts as 2) and RS. Economics is all about the economy and money and politics but Business Studies is about everything that a business has to deal with. I don’t know as I did not do Food Technology as I preferred History as that was in the same box but from what I have heard I think it is hard and Yes, there is quite a bit of coursework.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
lilTrain
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ill answer the ones i know
3) theres not listening exam in english, but there is a speaking where you have to prepare a speech on any topic and its filmed.... but it does nothing to your grade, no idea why they even do it then

4) nothing fancy, its stuff like putting a potato in water....... catching a ruler and recording reaction time..... but they're important to know how theyre done because you'll always be asked about some practicals in an exam

5) i've never done german or french, we do spanish but i can tell you this-- its probably the easiest of the 3 if you're just a regular english kid. pronnounciation is easy and a lot of words are pretty similar to english. i heard our school chose spanish because its easier and therefore means we get higher grades so they can show us off to other schools........ pretty shady. but it works.

7) depends on your school, for us we had to choose between history/geography, then one out of music, art, drama, or IT, so we only got 2 options. (our schools limited, hopefully yours isnt) you should probably ask teachers at your school about this though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (81)
14.16%
Yes - a food allergy (60)
10.49%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.62%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.62%
No (401)
70.1%

Watched Threads